Your New Home and Tenancy

Before you move in, we will check your new home to make sure it is safe, secure, clean and in a good state of repair.

 All properties that we allocate will meet our Lettable Standard, which is the minimum standard of repair that you can expect to find when you rent from Selby District Council.

You will receive a copy of the Lettable Standard within your sign up pack or you can contact us or your designated Neighborhood Officer, to request a copy. If you have any queries about your tenancy, please contact your local Neighborhood Officer. 

If you are an introductory tenant, you will also receive a visit from your Neighborhood Officer within 4 weeks of your tenancy start date. 

We appreciate that it can be stressful moving into a new home. Here is a handy checklist to help make your move easier.

Moving into your new home, things to remember

  • Rent is due weekly and must be kept up to date. Contact Housing Rents to discuss payment options.
  • Arrange contents insurance for your personal belongings. Buildings insurance is already in place for your home.
  • We offer contents insurance through Simple with more information being available by clicking here
  • Contact gas, water and/or electricity suppliers to set up or change your utilities account. 
  • Redirect your mail from your previous address. Contact your local Post Office for advice.
  • Take meter reading as soon as you move in (your Neighbourhood Officer will have pointed out your meter locations at sign up)
  • Arrange television license. Telephone 0870 2416 484 or visit TV Licencing 
  • If your new home has a gas supply, call our in-house repairs team to arrange to uncap the gas so it is ready to use. 
  • Remember to tell your doctor, dentist, bank, employer, school and DVLA about your new address. 
  • Contact us to set up or change your council tax payments and to notify Electoral Register and benefits should you be claiming them. 
  • If you install a telephone line, please let us know your number. 

















Your Tenancy

Different types of tenancy

As part of signing for your new home, you would have been given a copy of your tenancy agreement. This is a legal contract between you and Selby District Council and sets out what is required of you as a tenant and us as a landlord. It is important that you understand the terms and conditions of your tenancy. If you do something that breaks this agreement, we may take action against you.

Please keep your tenancy agreement in a safe place, as you may need to refer to it in the future. 

Types of tenancy

The types of tenancy we can use as a Local Authority landlord are set out in law. The type of tenancy that you have depends on your circumstances, but will be one of the following:

Introductory tenancy

This is usually given to people who are new Selby District Council tenants. Introductory tenancies are commonly referred to as probationary tenancies, and last for 12 months. You will have the same responsibilities as a Flexible/ Secure tenant, but not the same rights. During this time, we will make sure you are happy in your home and are able to meet the conditions set out in your tenancy agreement.

If your tenancy is conducted in a satisfactory way during this time you will automatically become either a Flexible or Secure tenant, depending on your situation. If there are some issues with your tenancy that you are addressing, then we may look to extend this period for a further 6 months.

We are committed to tackling anti- social behavior and use introductory tenancies to make our communities safe and pleasant places to live. Should you fail to meet the conditions of your tenancy which includes keeping your rent account up to date, we may serve a notice potentially leading to you losing your home.Within your first 12 months as an Selby District Council tenant, your Neighbourhood Officer will complete a minimum of three home visits to ensure that there are no issues with your tenancy and provide, or signpost you to, the support you require. You will be notified in advance when these visits will take place.

Secure tenancy

A secure tenancy is commonly referred to as a lifetime tenancy. This means that you can remain in your home for as long as you like, as long as you keep to the terms of your tenancy agreement.

Secure tenants will have been offered a secure tenancy for one of the following reasons:-

  • They are an existing secure tenant of Selby District Council moving to another Selby District Council property.

  • They are an applicant moving into sheltered housing.

  • They are an applicant of state pensionable age or over.

  • They are an applicant who is ‘vulnerable’, unable to take care of themselves; protect themselves from harm or prevent themselves from being exploited.

Flexible tenancy

Flexible tenancies are a type of secure tenancy, but they last for a fixed period. In most cases, they will initially be granted for a period of five years and can be renewed (for a further 5 or 2 years).

Flexible Tenancies allow Selby District Council to make better use of the available stock and to manage our homes more effectively. Longer term, many of our new tenants may not need the assistance that social housing provides, and in the future may be able to consider alternative housing options such as privately renting, renting to buy, or shared ownership.

Between 6-9 months of your flexible tenancy coming to an end, the Council will conduct a review to consider whether you will be offered a further tenancy, or whether an alternative property may be more appropriate. Flexible tenants have the same rights and responsibilities as secure tenants.

The list below highlights the different rights which apply to each tenancy:

Right Introductory Tenancy Flexiable Fixed Term Tenancy Secure Tenancy

The right to live in your home without the threat of being evicted without good cause (security of tenure)

Yes Yes Yes
Right to make improvements or alterations (with permissions) No Yes Yes
Right to compensate for improvements (with permission) No Yes Yes
Right to repair and compensation Yes Yes Yes
Right to be consulted about the management of your home Yes Yes Yes
Right to information about the management of your home Yes Yes Yes
Right to pass your home when you die (succession) Yes Yes Yes
Right to assign, take in lodgers and sub-let part of your home (with permission) No Yes Yes
Right to exchange your home (mutual exchange) No Yes Yes
Right to buy your home No Yes Yes


Joint Tenancy

You may have signed your tenancy agreement as a joint tenant with someone else. If you are a joint tenant, you are both responsible for meeting the conditions set out in your tenancy agreement.

A joint tenancy can be ended by either tenant and will bring the tenancy to an end for all parties. If you were originally a sole tenant, you may later request to enter into a joint tenancy with someone else, such as your partner.

However, it is our decision as to whether we grant this request. We will consider factors such as whether you have any rent arrears, how long the other person has lived with you and whether the person owns a property or holds a tenancy elsewhere.