Who can vote?

You can register to vote if you are:

  • aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18)
  • a British citizen, Republic of Ireland citizen or Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain in the UK
  • a citizen of European Union (EU) member states (but you cannot vote in Parliamentary General Elections)
  • resident at an address within Selby district

Students away at college or university can register at their permanent home address and their term-time address. For more information, go to About my vote.

How to register to vote with no fixed address

You can join the electoral register even if you have no fixed address. This may be because you are:​

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • a homeless person
  • a person remanded in custody

To register, you need to fill in a form called a 'Declaration of local connection’. Contact us for this form.

Voluntary or detained patients (but not those detained for criminal activity) and remand prisoners (but not convicted prisoners) may register at:

  • The institution where they are currently resident.
  • The address at which they would be living (or have previously lived).

Patients in mental hospitals and remand prisoners will be unable to vote in person at the polling station, and are specifically entitled to vote by post or proxy.