Evidence of a workhouse in Selby dates back to 1741. The workhouse that this weathervane came from was built to house 70 inmates in 1837. It had a hospital wing, dining hall, chapel, school rooms and labour blocks. By the time it closed in the mid 1920’s it could accommodate 158 people. The original Board Room Block can still be seen on Union Street.