Universal credit - useful information and contact details

How will Universal Credit be paid?

Payments will normally be made once a month in arrears to replicate a working wage. Claimants must set up a bank account to receive their UC payments.  If you live with your partner and both claim UC you'll receive a single payment that covers you both.

Working while you claim Universal Credit

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week if you receive UC.  Your payment will reduce gradually as you earn more and you won't lose all your benefits at once if you're on a low income.

How does this affect people of pension age?

You won't be able to claim UC if both you and your partner are over Pension Credit age.  You’ll need to claim Pension Credit and Housing Benefit instead.

Universal Credit helpline and website

  • Website - GOV.UK website
  • Telephone: 0800 328 5644  – FREE
  • Textphone: 0800 328 1344  – FREE

Money Manager

Money Manager is designed just for people on Universal Credit. You can use it whether you’re making a new claim or moving to Universal Credit from existing benefits. It will help you make the most of your money:

  • When you’re waiting for your first Universal Credit payment
  • When you’re getting regular monthly payments.

Money Manager - Money Advice