Transfers and Mutual Exchanges

purple rectangle boxMutual Exchange

Only flexible and secure tenants have the right to mutually exchange their Council home. You can exchange your home with another flexible or secure tenant with another tenant who is either one of our tenants, another Council tenants or Housing Association tenants. 

However, we can refuse a mutual exchange, and listed below are some of the common reasons for refusals:

  • A recent notice to seek possession or court order has been served.
  • The property is too big or too small for the family expected to be moving in.
  • The property has been adapted for special needs and there is nobody with special requirements moving into property.
  • The property has been designated for the elderly.
  • There are outstanding current rent arrears.

To mutually exchange your home, you will need to register with Homeswapper or contact the Council’s customer contact centre.

HomeSwapper logo


If you wish to transfer from your current property, you will need to complete a North Yorkshire Home Choice housing application.

You may not be able to transfer should you have current debt, previous social housing rent arrears, a history of anti- social behaviour or you are currently in the first twelve months of your tenancy.North Yorkshire Home Choice logo

For more information or to apply please visit North Yorkshire Home Choice website or by visiting our Apply for Housing page

Purple graphic of houses