Temporary event notice

Licence Summary

If you wish to hold an ad-hoc event in Selby district, you must give a temporary event notice (TEN) to us no later than ten working days before the event. If the premises where the event is to be held is in areas governed by two or more local authorities applications must be made to each. You must also inform several other authorities, known as the responsible authorities, which are:

  • North Yorkshire Police
  • North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority
  • Social Services (North Yorkshire County Council)
    • Corporate Director of Adult Community Services
      North Yorkshire County Council
      County Hall
      DL7 8DD
  • Trading Standards
  • Public Health

If you are a personal licence holder, you can give a maximum of 50 TENs per year. Your event must involve no more than 499 people at any one time and last no more than 96 hours with a minimum of 24 hours between events.

Eligibility Criteria

An activity that can be licensed must be carried out as detailed in a notice that must be given. The notice must be in a specific format and must be made by someone over 18 years of age.

The notice should contain:

  • If alcohol is to be supplied, a statement confirming that it is a condition of using the premises that the supplies are made under the premises user's authority.
  • A statement relating to certain matters.
  • Any other required information.

The matters referred to above are:

  • Details of the licensable activities.
  • The event period.
  • The times when during that period the activities will take place.
  • The maximum number of people proposed to be allowed on the premises.
  • Any other required matters.

Regulation Summary

Application Evaluation Process

The TEN must be given in writing (including by electronic means) to us at least ten working days before the event. A fee is payable with the notice. We will acknowledge receipt of the notice by giving a notice to the premises user before the end of the first working day it was received or before the end of the second working day if the day the notice was received is not a working day.

Unless an application has been submitted electronically, the premises user must also give notice to the chief officer of the local police department no later than ten working days before the event period.

The chief police officer who receives a notice and believes that the event would undermine crime prevention objectives can serve an objection notice on the licensing authority and the premises user. This notice must be served within 48 hours of receipt of the temporary event notice.

The local licensing authority must hold a hearing if an objection notice is served. They may issue a counter notice if it considers it necessary for the promotion of crime prevention objective. A decision must be made at least 24 hours before the beginning of the event. A police chief may modify the TEN with the consent of the premises user. In such a case an objection notice will be deemed to have been withdrawn. Counter notices may be provided by the licensing authority if the number of permitted TENs has been exceeded.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through gov.uk

Applying for a temporary events notice

Failed Application Redress

Please contact us in the first instance. If a counter notice is given in relation to an objection notice the applicant may appeal against the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Licence Holder Redress

Please contact Selby District Council in the first instance.

Other Redress

If a licensing authority decides not to issue a counter notice in relation to an objection notice the chief police officer can appeal the decision. Appeals must be made to the local Magistrates' court within 21 days. An appeal may not be brought later than five working days from the day of the planned event.

Public Register

Please see our Public Registers page with regards to viewing registers.

Consumer Complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to us - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this is insufficient, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Licensing Policy

Our licensing policy is available to view here - Selby District Council - Licensing Policy.