Street trading consent


If you trade in the street you may require a street trading consent. As consent sites in Selby district are limited, please telephone for further details or email

Applications should be made in writing (including by electronic means) to Selby District Council. You must provide specific information, including details of the street you wish to trade on and the days and times you wish to trade.

You may also be required to provide two photographs of yourself. You must comply with any conditions attached to a consent. When you apply for a street trading consent, we consult with:

  • Highways Agency
  • North Yorkshire County Council Highways Department
  • North Yorkshire Police
  • District Councillors
  • Parish Clerks

Eligibility criteria

You must be over 17 years of age to hold a consent. Consents will be refused if any of the following grounds exist:

  • There isn't enough space in the street you wish to trade in, without causing interference or inconvenience to street users.
  • You wish to trade for less days than any minimum required trading days.
  • You are unsuitable to hold a consent due to any previous convictions or for other reasons.
  • You have previously failed to pay fees due under another street trading consent or have failed to use a previous street trading consent.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation of this licence

Application evaluation process

Under certain circumstances, if grounds for refusal exist the council may still award a consent but for fewer days than you require, or to allow trade in certain items. The council will either grant the application or contact you to discuss your application within a reasonable time.

You will be notified if the council intend to refuse the application, grant it on different terms than those applied for, confine trading to a particular place in a street, vary conditions of a consent or revoke a consent. The notice will detail the grounds for their decision and state that within seven days of the notice you can request in writing the opportunity to make representations.

A street trading consent may be revoked at any time.

Fees - 2019/20

For non-food concerns, you must pay a fee of £743.50 per year to obtain street trading consent. An occasional street trading consent costs £25.40.

For food concerns, you must pay a fee of £1,480.20 per year to obtain a street trading consent. An occasional street trading consent costs £62.40 per day.

Application process

You can download a street trading consent form from the website, together with a list of consent streets, which are streets that require permission from the Council before you can trade there.

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us.

Failed application and complaints

Please contact us if you wish to appeal a refused application or have a complaint about our service. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court.

Illegal street trading

People selling goods on the streets without a licence, create obstructions for pedestrians and are also unfair competition to legitimate traders and businesses.

This illegal activity can range from sellers of counterfeit DVDs to roasted peanuts. Unlicensed traders almost always sell illegal goods of dubious quality. If you buy from them, you will not be able to get your money back. If they are selling food, there is no way of telling if it is safe to eat.

If you suspect someone may be trading without a licence, please contact Selby District Council.