Certain areas of Selby district have been designated smoke control areas. This means that all buildings in these areas must only use authorised fuels in any working fireplace unless the fireplace has been exempted.
Maps of the smoke control areas within Selby district are listed below. You can check if your property falls within the smoke control area using these maps.
A local authority may, by order, declare the whole or any part of the district of the authority to be a smoke control area. Within the Selby district, there are seven smoke control areas:
- Brayton - smoke control area 1988 - pdf
- Selby 1 - smoke control area 1980 - pdf
- Selby 2 - smoke control area 1982 - pdf
- Selby 3 - smoke control area 1987 - pdf
- Sherburn in Elmet - smoke control area 1989 - pdf
- South Milford - smoke control area 1989 - pdf
- Thorpe Willoughby - smoke control area 1988 - pdf
Please note that the restrictions within smoke control areas do not apply to bonfires.
Authorised fuels and exempted fireplaces
Some fireplaces are exempt from the requirement to burn only authorised fuels. This is because they can burn other types of fuel without producing large amounts of smoke. A list of authorised fuels and exempted fireplaces can be downloaded here.