Self-build and Custom build Register

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015, places a duty on local authorities in England to keep and have regard to a register of people and groups interested in self-build and custom build housing.

The government wants to enable more people to build or commission their own home. The register will help inform the Council about the level of demand for these types of homes in Selby District.  This information may also help us consider housing and planning policies to facilitate self and custom build housing projects and explore options to bring people and plots together. Further information is available in the Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding planning practice guidance which is available on the Government's Planning Practice Guidance portal.

Please note that registration does not guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

Types of self-build and custom build?

Self-build - where you organise and design the construction of your own home. You then need to choose how, listed below are some of the options available to you:

  • self-build one-off home: you manage the design and construction process and are physically involved in part or all of the construction of your home
  • contractor built one-off home: you manage the design process and appoint a contractor to build the home to your specification
  • kit home: you select your preferred kit home and possibly establish the foundations. The kit home company then erects the home
  • independent community collaboration: you work with others to acquire a site to split into plots then organize the design and construction of your own home
  • supported community self-build group: a social landlord or the Community Self Build Agency helps you build a group of homes together. More information about this can be found on their website.

Custom build – where you work with a specialist developer to deliver your own home. There are also different options available with this method as follows:

  • developer built one-off home: a developer builds a single home that the self builder completes
  • developer led group project: a developer will organise a group and builds the homes that the self builder completes.

Am I eligible to be entered on the register?

Each individual applicant and every member of an association of individuals that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or older;
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland; and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

Register of Interest

If you would like to register your interest, please complete the online registration form.

If you have any queries about the registration, or would like a copy of the registration form sent to you, please contact: the Planning Policy Team by email –, or post to:

Planning Policy, Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby YO8 9FT.

How we will use information from the register

By registering you will help us find out more about the demand for custom build plots in the Selby District, where people would like their plot to be and the type of house that they would like to build.

We shall use the information to explore ways in which it might be possible for people and plots to be brought together. Registration does not however guarantee that a suitable plot will be identified, or become available.

We will not pass identifiable information from the Register onto anyone outside the Council without the written consent of the person who registered their details.

In submitting this form, you are agreeing that the council can use the data you provide to understand the demand for custom build and self-build housing.

Personal details included on the register will not be made public, but anonymised headline data extracted from it may be published (i.e. overall numbers of registered entries for various categories, geographical areas of interest, types of housing sought etc.).

Your remaining information as submitted will be used by the council for strategic planning, information and statistical purposes only.

Useful links

The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015

Self build portal is a government endorsed self-build resource.

National Custom & Self Build Association

The Custom and Self Build Toolkit provides guidance and case studies about custom and self build housing projects.

Contact us

If you have any queries regarding Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding please contact the Planning Policy Team by email –