The seven North and East Yorkshire local authorities have established a network of enablers who are working to identify the needs of rural communities.
The North Yorkshire Rural Housing Enablers' network, launched in 2008, helps rural communities find solutions for the increasing problem of shortages in affordable housing.
The high price of housing in many rural areas often means that young people have to relocate in order to find an affordable place to live. When the only people who can afford to live in our rural settlements are those who commute to work in the larger towns and cities, communities can become dormitory in nature and the social and economic mix of the area can become unbalanced..
Providing good quality rural affordable housing is a key priority for York, North Yorkshire & East Riding. This is a complex and often lengthy process and we have a team of Rural Housing Enablers (RHEs) to ensure that resources and expertise are on hand for rural communities.
Selby Councils RHEs offers free, impartial advice to support the development of affordable housing for local people. They offer step by step guidance and support to deliver new high quality housing that meet the needs of communities and fit in with the local environment. RHEs work with community and parish councils and have the skills and expertise to:
- Undertake a parish wide survey to assess local housing need
- Work with the Parish Council and others, such as housing associations, to explore ways of meeting identified housing need
- Liaise with landowners and local authority housing and planning departments to identify possible sites
- Facilitate community consultations
- Help to secure funding for affordable housing
- Act as an honest broker between parties as the project progresses, ensuring that the community is able to participate.
- Working across North & East Yorkshire and sharing ideas and experiences, RHEs can put you in touch with communities who have developed rural affordable homes, arrange visits to give you a better understanding of the process and demonstrate the positive impact developments have had in communities similar to yours.
RHEs work with communities and partners to increase rural affordable housing to enable local people/workers on modest incomes to stay or return to their village. Developments of this kind can help villages to thrive.
For more information please contact our local rural housing enabler Matthew Brown on 01757 705101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also visit their website by clicking here