Registering for the Electoral Register

Who can register 

You can register to vote if you are:

  • aged 16 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 18)
  • a British citizen, Republic of Ireland citizen or Commonwealth citizens with leave to remain in the UK
  • a citizen of European Union (EU) member states (but you cannot vote in Parliamentary General Elections)
  • resident at an address within Selby district
Students away at college or university can register at their permanent home address and their term-time address. For more information, go to About my vote.

Electoral Registration

The law has changed as to how residents can be added to, changed on, or removed from the register.The government provided guidance and prescriptive forms which we must use to when making any changes to the electoral register.  We can no longer move electors from one property to another or make changes without supporting documentary evidence being provided.

To be added to the register

Each person must complete an individual application.  The easiest way to do this is via the government website

If you do not have internet access we can arrange for a hard copy of the form to be posted to your address, but we need the full name of each person who needs a form as they have to be personalised.
When you receive the form you are asked to provide:
  • Your full name and address,
  • Any previous address (so we can start the deletion process from this address
  • when you are registered at your current address)
  • Your contact details (which are only stored and used in relation to your application on the electoral register)
  • Your nationality (required to validate your eligibility to vote).
  • Your date of birth
  • Your national insurance number
  • Whether you wish to be on or excluded from the edited/open register
  • Your voting preference* – ie if you require a postal vote
The information is the same regardless of how you register.  Your application is then validated by verifying your details match information linked to your national insurance number and date of birth.  If all your details match we can add you to the register, if they do not we are required to ask for additional supporting evidence.  If the evidence is acceptable you are added to the register, if not we write and advise what we require.  If we do not receive sufficient evidence we are unable to accept your application and have to reject it.  We would always write and confirm this to you.

How to register to vote with no fixed address

You can join the electoral register even if you have no fixed address. This may be because you are:​

  • a patient in a mental health hospital
  • a homeless person
  • a person remanded in custody
To register, you need to fill in a form called a 'Declaration of local connection’. Contact us for this form.
Voluntary or detained patients (but not those detained for criminal activity) and remand prisoners (but not convicted prisoners) may register at:
  • The institution where they are currently resident.
  • The address at which they would be living (or have previously lived).
Patients in mental hospitals and remand prisoners will be unable to vote in person at the polling station, and are specifically entitled to vote by post or proxy.

Registration dates

Every council has to follow specific dates in relation to publication of the revised electoral register and monthly updates throughout the year.  The only amendments to these dates are linked to an election and can be found on our website page specific to an upcoming election.
The registration date is the last date someone’s application can be received to be included in the following months register update .  The supporting evidence date is the last date any additional information can be received (for that month) if someone did not get verified by the data matching exercise.
The published and distributed by date is that which the updated details are available to public view, or passed to licensed recipients, ie credit reference agencies.

Registration date cut-off

(If required) supporting evidence received by

Published and distributed by

13 December 2021

21 December 2021

4 January 2022

10 January 2022

18 January 2022

1 February 2022

7 February 2022

15 February 2022

1 March 2022

10 March 2022

18 March 2022

1 April 2022

7 April 2022

19 April 2022 3 May 2022
10 May 2022 18 May 2022 1 June 2022
9 June 2022 17 June 2022 1 July 2022
8 July 2022 18 July 2022 1 August 2022

10 August 2022

18 August 2022 1 September 2022

Annual Canvass


1 December 2022


Changing your details

If you wish to change your details, (for example, change your name), we need the details of your previous and your new name along with the supporting document to confirm this change.  If you do not provide the documentary evidence we are unable to make this change.  If you vote by post and change your name, your existing postal vote will be cancelled and you need to complete a new application as your signature will be different.

Removal from the register

In line with the changes in 2014 (apart from when an elector has died) to remove someone from the register we require two sources of information to complete the process.  In most cases we are notified someone has moved out of a property which starts the removal process, we then write to that person at that address which allows them to the time to ensure we have been given and acted upon the correct details, and if no response is received the removal is completed.  Many electors have their post re-directed, and having received this letter either confirm the details are correct or re-register at their new address which removes them from their old one.

Credit Reference agencies

Many residents now check the credit scores provided by credit reference agencies.  One of the ways to improve your credit rating is to be on the electoral register as this is one of the sources checked to confirm identity and how long someone has lived at a property.
To receive a copy of the electoral register from a local authority the credit reference agency has to have a license from the government and is only permitted to use the data in line with their agreement.
We provide the information as requested by them on the dates specified in the registration dates table in section 3.  Whilst we update our register each day with new applications for the purposes of elections, it can take several weeks before it is sent to a credit reference agency. 
We maintain the register for the purpose of elections only and have no control over how and when your data is updated by a credit reference agency. You can find out more on GOV.UK.

Privacy Notice

Please find the privacy notice for elections and electoral registration here