Planning Surgery

Please note: Our customer contact centre is closed for walk-in (face-to-face) visits. This is to protect customers and staff, in line with the latest government guidance around dealing with Coronavirus.This includes our Planning Surgeries. 

Do I need planning permission?

**Due to the current volume of planning applications and enquiries we are currently receiving there is a delay on our response time for permitted development enquiries and unfortunately we are unable to guarantee you will receive a response with 15 working days**

You can complete the householder permitted development enquiry form to check whether you need planning permission or if you have a question about permitted development rights. This can be sent via post or email ( ) to the Planning Service with a payment of £27.96, cheques made payable to Selby District Council or over the phone. A Planning Officer will confirm whether planning permission is required. We will respond to your enquiry within 15 working days. The benefit of this service is that you get a written response for your records when selling your property. 

Although this is not a full determination of whether planning permission is required, it is cheaper than a Lawful Development Certificate.

Duty Officer Appointment

**Due to Covid-19 we are unable to provide our duty officer appointment service at present. This service with be reviewed in due course as government guidance changes.**

This service allows you to book an appointment to talk to a Duty Planning Officer regarding householder enquiries only at our Access Selby Offices, Market Cross, Selby, YO8 4JS.

The appointments are charged at £27.96 for a 25 minute slot. 

Customers should bring with them any other details linked to the development such as sketch plans, photographs, planning history etc.

As the appointments are strictly 25 minutes you should come prepared to ensure that the Officer can make most of the time you have booked with them.

At your appointment the Planning Officer will provide you with written confirmation of their advice.

Appointments are non-refundable. Should you need to cancel an appointment you are required to inform us within 24 hours of your appointment and you will be entitled to rebook.

Please Note: We can't always provide specialist technical advice on matters such as highways, building conservation, arboricultural matters, contaminated land and archaeology.

If your development does not fall within the scope of this service and is for a larger scale development then we would request submissions are made through our formal pre-application service. Details can be found here.