Personal licence

What is a Personal Licence?

A Personal Licence allows a person to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol, within a licensed premise.

In order to apply for a Personal Licence, you must be over 18 and have the level 2 award for Personal Licence holders or the National Certificate of Personal Licence holders.

A Personal Licence holder must notify the Licensing Authority every time they move house, change their name, or they are convicted of a relevant offence. Failure to do so is an offence under the Licensing Act 2003 and subject to a fine, not exceeding £500.

How do I apply for a Personal Licence?

To apply for a personal licence you will need to complete the application form and declaration of convictions forms: 

You must submit the application and declaration of convictions forms with these documents:

  • Original certificate of level 2 award for Personal Licence holders or National Certificate for Personal Licence holders (click here for details)
  • A photocopy of evidence of your right to work in the UK (see guidance on application form)
  • Basic police disclosure (less than 30 days old)
  • Two certified passport photographs
  • £37 fee

Please return any completed forms and supporting documentation in person or by post to:

Licensing Department, Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT.

Licensing Policy

Our licensing policy is available to view here - Selby District Council - Licensing Policy.