The title Baron Londesborough was granted to the Denison family in 1850. By 1873 the family were one of the largest landowners in the Ridings. This wealth was short lived. In 1905 the family put their holdings in Selby town centre up for auction. In 1911 they sold their remaining farms in the area and in 1933 sold their rights to hold markets in the town, thus ending the families connection with Selby. The Londesborough Arms, where the sales took place, was renamed The George in 2017.