New planning applications - guidance and forms

As a planning authority we deal with applications for development of land and buildings, planning appeals, breaches of planning control and we also provide planning information, advice and guidance.

This page contains important information you should take into account before completing your application, along with all planning application forms and guidance documents for completing them.

Do I Need Planning Permission?

Please use the planning portal guidance Interactive House to assist you with your planning enquiry.

Householders and residents can also book appointments to meet planners at our contact centre in Selby for pre-application advice. Please click here for further information

Pre-application advice (forms)

Developers who want pre-application advice for a large application should use this form:

Make a planning application, including paying fees

If you require site location or site layout plans, they can be purchased through the Planning Portal. If you wish to submit an online planning application please use this Planning Portal link.

Further information is also available in the following document:

For all applications

North Yorkshire Local List Planning Applications

We use the North Yorkshire Local List for the validation of planning applications.

This document has been prepared in conjunction with the majority of the North Yorkshire authorities and will provide a single standard for the submission of documentation to make a planning application valid.



Application Forms and Guidance

Planning applications will not be validated if they are not accompanied by the correct local list or do not comply fully with its requirements.

Contaminated Land Requirements

The following guidance should assist developers, landowners and consultants who intend to introduce a vulnerable end use (e.g residential development) to land, or wish to redevelop or significantly change the use of buildings or land which could be potentially contaminated.

The guidance specifies what information should be submitted to the Local Planning Authority.

Development on Land Affected by Contamination

Selby District Council Flood Risk Sequential Test Developer Guidance Note - October 2019

This guidance note describes what the Council's approach will be when applying the Sequential Test for planning applications that are located within Flood Zones 2 and 3. It has been formulated in collaboration with the Environment Agency, and supersedes the previous guidance note that was published on the Council's website in August 2019.

Sequential Test Developer Guidance Note - October 2019

The Council wants to encourage development in the right places with the lowest risk of flooding, however there must be a pragmatic approach which supports the redevelopment of brownfield sites and steers development to the main settlements as set out in the Core Strategy 2013. The guidance note above has been produced to guide developers when undertaking the sequential test and to consider mitigation measures to ensure the delivery of development.

Please consult the guidance and discuss any queries with Development Management or Planning Policy through an appointment with either the duty officer at Access Selby, through a pre-app meeting or through the planning process with your designated Development Management Officer.

For further details please consult the Development Management at

Community Infrastructure Levy

The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a levy which we have adopted. It allows us to fund infrastructure by charging on developments. Applicants should be aware of the impact CIL may have on their application. Please visit our Community Infrastructure Levy page for further details or email


Selby District Council has adopted CIL and all applications are required to complete the following document:

When submitting an application online, you may wish to the Submitting an Application Online Guidance Notes - pdf

Please see below for all forms you may need to complete as part of your application, along with guidance.

If you do not send all the information we need your application will be deemed invalid.


















Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007: Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers - pdf