House insurance

Many tenants believe that Selby District Council automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decorations against fire, theft, vandalism or water damage such as burst pipes. This is the case.

Unfortunately some tenants only realise this after the damage has been done. We make it easy for you to insure your belongings under a special household contents insurance scheme. The insurance is arranged with Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance plc and is available only to Selby District Council customers.

There are 2 cover levels for you to decide from. Simple cover does not include any cover for Accidental Damage. You also have the option to add cover for Personal Belongings, Hearing Aids or Wheelchairs to Simple or Simple+.

Simple & Simple+

  • Most of your household goods and contents including pedal cycles and computer equipment are insured when in your home.
  • They are covered against loss or damage caused by specific events such as theft, fire and flood.
  • Also insured are lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, your own legal liability to the public and the cost of alternative accommodation.
  • Improvements you have made to your home such as fitted kitchens, bathrooms, wardrobes, laminate flooring, patio doors etc (but not greenhouses or conservatories).

Application form and additional information

If you are interested or want further information please click on the link below.

Selbv District Council Tenants Insurance Scheme - Application Form

Selbv District Council Tenants Insurance Scheme - Additional Infomation

Policy Wording

Lodgers and Bedroom Tax

Find out how taking in a lodger would affect your home insurance:

Bedroom Tax - What this means for your insurance

Bedroom Tax - FAQs