General flooding update

You can find out more here about general information about flooding and how to stay up-to-date.

Flood warnings

The latest information about flood warnings can be found via the Environment Agency website.  We also give information about flood warnings via our Twitter feed. A number of other organisations post information and advice about flooding via Twitter, and you may also wish to follow these feeds.


For recorded flood warning information, or to speak to an operator for general information and advice 24 hours a day, telephone Floodline on 0845 988 1188.  You can also call this number to register for Floodline Warnings Direct.  This free service provides flood warnings direct to you by landline or mobile phone.

Flood warnings are broadcast on many local TV and radio stations during weather and traffic bulletins.

Could your community cope with future flooding?

When there's flooding, the District Council works closely with the emergency services and other support organisations to help people affected.  Some areas also have their own Community Emergency Plans, which can help to coordinate the local response.  You can get support with developing these from the North Yorkshire Local Resilience Forum.  Find out more here, including details of areas that already have these in place.

Transport information

North Yorkshire County Council has information about on-going road closures in the district here. In Tadcaster, the bridge remains closed.  North Yorkshire County Council is running a shuttle bus service to connect the east and west sides of the town.

What does Selby District Council do in cases of flooding?

We work with the Environment Agency, Police, Fire & Rescue Service and other support organisations to provide help to residents and businesses affect by flooding.  The District Council’s community officers are our front-line staff who are deployed to provide this support.  We also help to get information out into affected communities about flood warnings and action to take.

We hold a small number of sandbags that we can distribute to affected areas.  The distribution of these is prioritised for vulnerable people such as elderly residents and vital community facilities.  In cases of serious flooding we have arrangements to distribute sandbags to central locations within affected communities.  People can then decide how best to use these within their own areas.

Looking after drainage and gullies

Drainage and gullies are the responsibility of North Yorkshire County Council Highways Maintenance Department.  Their Selby office can be contacted on 01757 702441.