Gaming and gambling licence


March 2020 Covid19 update – Licensing

To reduce face to face contact in light of the Government’s latest update on Covid19, the Licensing function at the Council is taking the following steps:

Please only submit licensing applications electronically for the foreseeable future.  Payments can still be made by calling 01757 705101.

Applications can be scanned or photographed (you need to ensure that they are readable). If you need advice or have a query about an application or licence please email Licensing in the usual way by emailing:

Please do not visit the Civic Centre unannounced, as we cannot guarantee that there will be anybody available to see you. Instead please contact the Licensing section in the first instance by email or telephone.

If you have haven’t already updated the Licensing Team with an email address consider doing so now.

The Licensing Team will do all that they can to help you and your business through the next few months and recommend that you email us if you have any concerns at all. However, the onus is on you to ensure that any licence you have remains active and valid, following this advice.

The regulator for commercial gambling in the UK is the Gambling Commission, however local licensing authorities are responsible for issuing licences. We issue licences in Selby district.

We work with other agencies and licence holders to promote the three licensing objectives, which are:

  • preventing gambling from being a source of crime and disorder, being associated with crime or disorder or being used to support crime
  • ensuring that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way
  • protecting children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling

We are responsible for:

  • issuing premises licences for the provision of gambling activities
  • issuing permits for unlicensed family entertainment centres, club gaming, club machines, licensed premises gaming machines and prize gaming
  • issuing provisional statements
  • receiving and endorsing temporary use notices
  • receiving occasional use notices
  • registering small lotteries.

Our Gambling Policy is available to view on the following link - Selby District Council - Gambling Policy.

Our new Gambling Policy was approved by Full Council on 25 April 2017 and the implementation steps and advertising are now being undertaken. You can view a copy of the new policy on the following link - Selby District Council - New Gambling Policy

Forms relating to these are available below. At the moment, you will have to print them out and complete them by hand. Please read the guidance notes carefully before completing any of the forms.


Fire legislation and guidance for businesses

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 came into effect in October 2006 and replaced over 70 pieces of fire safety law.

The Order applies to all non-domestic premises in England and Wales, including offices, shops, premises that provide care such as care homes and hospitals, community halls, places of worship, pubs/clubs/restaurants, schools, sports centres, hotels, hostels, factories, warehouses and the common parts of blocks of flats or houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). 

Find out more.