We have a duty to make sure that:
- All food produced, processed or sold in the District is fit to eat; and
- The food or premises that it is produced in pose no risk to your health.
Under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013, food business proprietors are required to ensure that all their staff engaged in food handling activities are suitably trained and/or instructed in food hygiene matters.
View colleges currently carrying out Food Training Courses
We carry out sampling of foodstuffs, to ensure that food intended for human consumption that is produced, stored, distributed, handled or sold within the Selby district is without risk to the health of the consumer.
As well as the information provided on the Selby website, there are a number of other websites where you can find out more about this area:
- British Egg Information Service
- Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - DEFRA
- European Food Safety Authority
- Food Standards Agency
- FSA Business Guidance
- FSA News & Alerts
- Health Protection Agency
- Institute of Food Science and Technology
- World Health Organisation