Food premises approval

If you operate food premises you may need to be approved by your local authority. Examples of types of premises that are required to be approved local authorities are stand alone (ie not attached to a slaughter house, cutting plant or game handling establishment): You should contact your local authority or the Food Standards Agency to see if you require approval.

  • Meat processing plants.
  • Meat preparation plants.
  • Minced meat processing operations and mechanically separated meat processing plants.
  • Cold stores.

Some manufacturers handling products of animal origin may need to be approved by the local authority or the Meat Hygiene Service, rather than registered.

Application Process

Food Premises Approval - Application

Food Premises Approval - Change to an Application

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the GOV.UK website or by using the contact details below.

Consumer complaints

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to us - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this is insufficient, if you are located in the UK the GOV.UK website will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Trade associations