EU Settlement Scheme

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen you and your family may need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme in order to access social housing, remain living and working in the district in the UK after the 30 of June 2021.

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

The scheme allows you and your family members to get the immigration status you need to continue to live, work and study in the UK beyond 30 June 2021.

The Status means you can continue to be eligible for:

  • Public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • Public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you need the requirements and want to apply

Who should apply?

Except in a few cases, EU, EEA and Swiss citizen residents in the UK from 31 December 2020, and their non-EU family members, need to apply.

If you’ve lived in the UK got many years or have a UK permanent residence document, you still need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme.

Family members of EU citizens:

Non-EU family members living in the Uk from 31 December 2020 need to apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. Close family members who were not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member in the UK at any point in the future, as long as:

  • The relationship still exists; and
  • Their EU family member was a resident in the UK from 31 December 2020 and has successfully applied to the scheme

Close family members are spouses, civic partners, unmarried partners and dependent children, grandchildren, parents and grandparents. Family members do not need to be from the EU, they can come from anywhere in the world.

Children need to also secure an immigration status as well as adults. For more information about applying on behalf of children visit

How to apply?

The EU Settlement Scheme is open and free, you can apply online on the government website. The deadline for applying is 30 June 2021.

The government website has up-to-date information and advice about the application process.

If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status. DO TENANTS NEED TO SHOW EVIDENCE TO THE COUNCIL?

Websites and organisations who can help further

The European Commission 

Your Europe

Citizen Advice 

The Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association

New Europeans 

Migrants Children’s Advice Centre

The National Council for Voluntary Organisations