Energy efficiency and affordable warmth

Better Homes Selby

Better Homes  Selby is a council-endorsed energy efficiency scheme set up to help homeowners, private tenants and private landlords across the district. The aim of the scheme is to create warmer, healthier homes and to reduce the cost of fuel bills.

The scheme seeks to identify best offers for homeowners in the following areas:

  • home insulation
  • heating
  • boilers
  • renewable energy technologies

Energy efficiency grants

If you own your home or rent your home from a private landlord, you may qualify for assistance to improve the energy efficiency of your home.

Grants are currently available for cavity wall and loft insulation. The amount of grant you could receive depends upon your income, the energy efficiency of your home, and the suitability of your home for the proposed improvements.

You can find out how energy efficient your home is by checking its Energy Performance Certificate (if one exists) on the EPC register website or by completing a Home Energy Check on the Energy Saving Trust website.

You could qualify for assistance if your home has an energy efficiency rating of E, F, or G and your gross household income is less than £35,000 per year.

Replacement boilers for homeowners and landlords

If you don't qualify for a loan to replace your boiler then the Council's partner, Better Homes Yorkshire, can arrange a replacement using an approved installer. Boiler replacements can cost as little as £2,000 and may be possible within 48 hours of making an enquiry.

For enquiries about boiler replacements and other energy efficiency home improvements, call Better Homes Yorkshire. You can also visit the Better Homes Yorkshire website for more information and to make an online enquiry.

Energy Contribution Obligation

In addition to the above initiatives, you can also benefit from the Energy Company Obligation (ECO), which is Government's funding stream to provide energy efficiency improvements to 'fuel poor' households.  Read Selby’s local eligibility criteria (our Flexible Eligibility Statement of Intent).

Applying for financial assistance

If you think you may qualify for any of the above assistance options, contact our Private Sector Housing Team ( or telephone our Home Energy Officer at City of York Council on 01904 552300.