Empty homes

There are many reasons for homes becoming empty. Usually this is not a problem as its temporary; for example when people move from one house to another, the occupier dies or moves into care.

In some cases, homes are left for a period of years, decades or permanently. We’re committed to working with homeowners and the public to transform empty homes into homes for people who need them.

We've been working with other North Yorkshire districts to develop our Empty Homes Strategy

Report an empty home    

If you own an empty home or have seen one in your town or village – let us know.

Creating new homes from empty properties can help to bring the area back to popularity. It can also help the environment, as it is more efficient to bring an empty home back into use than to build new.

Owners of empty homes

Support is available to empty home owners to help bring their homes back into use.

We offer information and technical advice about: 
Our Housing options service
How we work with private landlords
Council Tax deductions – you may be entitled to a reduction or exemption from Council Tax depending on the reason your property is empty.

To help bring empty homes back in use we offer grants and loans to owners of empty homes. The funding will allow the owners to bring the homes to a decent standard. There are terms and conditions, and owners will need to work with us to ensure that the funds are used well.

We’ve also been successful in receiving funds to purchase empty homes to be used as council houses. Not all empty homes are suitable, but if you are interested in selling your empty home to us, please contact us to discuss further.

There is also additional information available:

Empty Homes in general 

National Landlord Association Website

Residential Landlords Association
The Government also has information about how to sell your property
Information about how to apply for probate with or without a will

Enforcement action for empty homes

If owners don’t engage with us, or fail to make satisfactory progress to bring their properties back into use, we may take formal action.
We will use enforcement action (as a last resort) to bring homes back into use. This is generally used when all other attempts to work with owners have failed.
In each situation we’ll consider a range of enforcement tool, which can include:

  • Compulsory Purchase Orders (CPO)
  • Enforced sale
  • Empty Dwelling Management Orders (EDMO)
  • Planning powers around improving the visual amenity in an area (commonly known as removing an ‘eye sore’)

These steps will allow us to gain possession of an empty property and bring it back into use.

If you own an empty home please contact us:  01757 705101 or emptyhomes@selby.gov.uk.