Do I need a licence to drive a Taxi or Private Hire Vehicle?
Once a Private Hire vehicle or Taxi is plated and licensed, it remains a Taxi or Private Hire vehicle at all times, even when not being used for public hire or hire and reward i.e. personal and social use.
To apply for a Taxi or Private Hire drivers licence, you must have held a full driving licence for a minimum of 12 months.
Please contact the Licensing Team to request an application. As of the 22nd November 2017 all new applicants will be required to attend an interview at the Civic Centre, with a member of the Licensing Team. They will issue the application and give advice on how to complete it if required. At this time a Right to Work Check will be carried out. A range of documents can be used to evidence that you have the right to live and work in the UK as detailed on the following attachment:
As of the above date all new applicants will need to have completed a Knowledge & Safeguarding course in York and your 'pass' certificate be submitted with application.
No application will be processed until a complete application has been received.
All applicants will need to satisfy the Council that they are a fit and proper person to hold a drivers Licence.
The following will need to be completed and enclosed with your application before submitting to the Licensing Team to process:
- A completed application
- Fee paid
- One passport sized photograph
- Applied for a DBS check (Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service), after the 20th November 2017 all new applicants will be required to sign up to the DBS update service, following submission of their DBS application, which they will need to remain signed up to, or they will risk suspension until another full DBS has been completed and they sign up to the service again.
- One Reference
- Completed Group 2 Medical
- Completed and passed the Knowledge & Safeguarding Course in York
- DVLA Access code provided (please be aware this code is only valid for 21 days).
- Certificate showing a Pass mark for the Practical Driving test for drivers of Hackney Carriage or Private Hire vehicles and where applicable a wheelchair assistance test. The Council has approved the following providers of these tests.
- Blue Lamp Trust
- Green Penny
- AA DriveTech
- Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM Roadsmart)
- Driving Instructors Association
To book the Knowledge & Safeguarding Course please contact York Workforce Development (advise them that you are a Selby Applicant) please go to the following website: https://york.learningpool.com or email email@example.com or telephone : 01904 553017
Applicants should contact the companies direct to discuss appointment times and costs.
Knowledge & Safeguarding Course
This training day is provided by York Council’s Workforce Development Unit, it runs regularly throughout the year and costs £80.00. In order to book your place please contact firstname.lastname@example.org please make sure you mention in the email that you are a Selby Driver.
An applicant who fails to turn up for the training day, or who arrives too late to sit the knowledge test, will forfeit the payment for the training.
The Knowledge and Safeguarding training day will cover a variety of topics aimed at helping you in your new role. These topics include:
· Disability Awareness
· Child and Adult Safeguarding
· Sexual Exploitation
· Equality Awareness
· Customer Service
· Legislation and Byelaws
· York’s Pedestrian Zone awareness
The day will end with a test on these subject areas, along with question relating to routes within the Selby area, locations and places of interest, which you will be expected to pass in order to progress your application.
If you fail the test you will be able to re-sit it. All applicants will be able to take a maximum of 6 tests. To book a re-sit please contact the Taxi Licensing Section. Re-sits will take place at the Civic Centre, Selby and cost £18.00, payment will be taken at the time of booking.
Fees - 2018/19
All application costs are to be paid by the applicant. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse costs incurred, whether a licence is granted or not.