Drainage help and advice

Sewerage companies’ responsibilities

Sewerage companies are responsible for the public sewers. These are usually in roads or public open spaces, but may run through private gardens. The sewerage company has a right of access to these sewers for maintenance. If the company carries out work on sewers on your land they must follow a code of practice, which is available from the company.

Property owner’s responsibilities

The drains and any private sewers which carry household waste are normally the householder's (or the landlord's) responsibility. This applies up to the point they connect with the public sewers.

What we commonly know as drains are actually three different things:


A pipe serving one property and usually discharging to a public sewer, cess pool, septic tank or similar structure. This is the responsibility of the householder.

Public Sewers

A sewer adopted by Yorkshire Water and shown on the sewer maps. These are normally the sewers that run in streets and roads and connect to sewage works. They are the responsibility of Yorkshire Water.

If you have an enquiry about a public sewer, please contact Yorkshire Water on 0345 1 24 24 24 or visit the Yorkshire Water website.