Domestic Abuse

The Safer Selby Hub works in partnership with many other organisations such as IDAS to provide support and advice to victims of domestic abuse.

IDAS is an Independent Domestic Abuse Service and their contact details are here: IDAS Contact Details. In an emergency, always call 999.

Further information can also be found on the North Yorkshire Police website: Domestic Abuse

Help for you

If you live with an abusive person, IDAS offers Safety Planning Advice on their website.

You could also consider:

  • Getting a spare phone and store emergency contact numbers in it and hide it in a safe place or with a trusted person
  • Keeping your ID documents, emergency funds, bank cards and children’s birth certificates to hand
  • Speaking to your neighbours and ask them to ring the police if they hear or see anything
  • Setting up safe words with friends so they know to call for help on your behalf
  • Planning to check in with people regularly so that they can raise the alarm if they don’t hear from you
  • Planning to escape to the garden or to a room that you can exit from easily if abusive behaviour escalates
  • Avoiding rooms where there could be weapons if the abusive behaviour escalates

For more information email IDAS on or call Supporting Victims on 01609 643100, email:

If you know someone who is or has experienced domestic abuse

If you are worried about a friend; family member; neighbour, or colleague, this advice could help to provide a lifeline:

  • Check-in with them regularly, if it is safe to do so
  • Ask if there is anything that you can look out for that might indicate they need help
  • Set up a code word to indicate that help is needed
  • Call the Police if you hear or see anything that could indicate a potential risk
  • Look at the safety planning advice on the IDAS Website

Domestic violence disclosure scheme – Clare’s Law

Named after Clare Wood who was murdered by her partner, having been unaware of his violent background; this scheme aims to prevent men and women from becoming victims of domestic abuse. It allows the police to disclose (if appropriate) information about a partner’s abusive past to protect those who could be at risk from a previously violent offender.

Under the right to ask, you can ask about your partner if you have a concern that they may harm you. Another person concerned about you such as your parent, neighbour or a friend can also ask. However, they may not necessarily receive information about your partner. It may be more appropriate for you or someone who can protect you to receive it.

Under the right to know, the police may decide to make a disclosure to protect someone, even if a person has not asked.

Please contact North Yorkshire Police on 101 to report incidents of domestic abuse or to enquire about Clare’s Law.

The 24-hour National Domestic Violence Freephone Helpline is: 0808 2000 247, for more information visit Refuge