Discounts and support


The full Council Tax bill assumes that the dwelling is the sole or main residence of two or more adults. If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), we will reduce the council tax bill by a quarter (25%). If you have been granted a discount which you believe you are not entitled to, or you think you are entitled to a discount but of a smaller amount, you are legally required to tell us within 21 days. If you fail to do this, you may be fined up to a £280 penalty.

Single persons discount 

If you are the only adult in the property or someone has moved out and you are now the only adult you can use this online form to apply for the 25% single person discount. 

People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults resident in a dwelling:

People with disabilities

If you or someone who lives with you need a room, an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced council tax bill. The bill may be reduced so that it falls into the band immediately below its normal band, and Band A properties may be reduced. These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on space they need because of a disability.

If you think you may be eligible, please complete this online form

Exempt dwellings

Some dwellings are exempt, including those occupied only by students, and vacant properties which are:

  • Owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Left empty by someone who has gone into prison
  • Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home or elsewhere
  • Left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person
  • Left empty by students
  • Waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after)
  • Have been repossessed
  • The responsibility of the trustee of a bankrupt
  • Empty because their occupation is forbidden by law
  • Waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
  • Unoccupied caravan pitches and moorings
  • Only occupied by people under 18 years old
  • Empty granny flats/annexes which cannot be let separately
  • Only occupied by severely mentally impaired people
  • Occupied by a person who has diplomatic privileges or immunities
  • Granny flats/annexes occupied by an elderly dependant relative aged 65 years or more, or a dependant relative who is substantially or permanently disabled.

Armed Forces barracks and married quarters are also exempt; their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement. If you think your property may be exempt you should contact us.

If you are eligible for an exempt dwelling please complete this online form


People who live in annexes may be eligible for a 50% reduction in the amount of council tax they pay if they are related to the person liable to pay the council tax of the main dwelling. This also applies to people living in dwellings with annexes which are unoccupied provided they are using those annexes as part of their main residence. If you think you may qualify please contact us.

Empty properties

Second homes and long-term empty homes are liable for the full council tax charge.

Any property that has been empty for more than two years will be charged a further 100% empty homes premium. If the property remains empty for more than 5 years this will increase to 200%. From 1 April 2021 if a property has been empty for more than 10 years the premium will be 300%. If you are having problems bringing an empty home back into use our Empty Homes Officer is able to offer advice and a range of support tools, including interest free repair loans, valuation and sales support and a successful tenant find service, to help unlock the potential of your empty home. For an informal chat please contact the council on 01757 705101 or email

You can also report an empty home online. 

Council Tax Reduction

Council tax reduction can help you pay your council tax bill if you are on a low income. It is not a state benefit, but a council tax discount scheme. If you apply for council tax reduction, you must continue to pay your usual council tax - your application does not mean you will automatically qualify for support. Click here to claim Council Tax reduction.

You can also view the full regulations for our council tax reduction scheme here.