Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG)
DFG can help people who own their own home, private tenants and tenants of social landlords (but not council tenants) adapt their homes to meet the needs of disabled children and adults. Before applying, you should first contact social services on 01609 780780 for more information.
Selby District Council is responsible for delivering the DFG. If you have an enquiry please call 01757 705101 or email DFGadaptations@Selby.gov.uk
The grant limit is £30,000, although the amount you receive is decided by an assessment of your finances, which considers your income and savings. For more information visit: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants and see the Council’s Housing Assistance Policy.
If you receive the following benefits, you won't have to contribute towards the cost:
- guaranteed pension credit
- housing benefit
- income related employment support allowance
- income based job seekers allowance
- working tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- child tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- adaptations for children and young people are no longer means tested, so a grant is available up to a £30,000 maximum
The kind of work covered by the grant includes providing:
- Easier access within the home for example, providing stair lifts, widening of doorways etc
- Bathroom and shower adaptations
- Kitchen adaptations to accommodate wheelchair use
- Ramps, handrails and level access door entry
All requests for major adaptations are assessed by occupational therapists from North Yorkshire County Council.
In addition to DFG the Council may also be able to provide further assistance for private home owners, those in private rented and the social housing sector that is explained in the Council’s Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy.
Help for council tenants: If you're a Selby District Council tenant, there's a separate service for adaptations.