A Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) can help people who own their own home, private tenants and tenants of social landlords (but not council tenants) adapt their homes to meet the needs of disabled children and adults. Before applying, you should contact Social Services on 01609 780780 for more information.
Selby District Council is responsible for delivering this grant. If you have any questions please call us on 01757 705101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The grant limit is £30,000, although the amount you receive is decided by an assessment of your finances, which considers your income and savings. Eligibility Information from the Government is available, you can also refer to the Council’s Housing Assistance Policy. In certain circumstances, a repayment condition of the grant will be required.
If you receive the following benefits, you won't have to contribute towards the cost:
- guaranteed pension credit
- housing benefit
- income related employment support allowance
- income based job seekers allowance
- working tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- child tax credit with an annual income less than £15,050
- adaptations for children and young people are no longer means tested, so a grant is available up to a £30,000 maximum
The kind of work covered by the grant includes providing:
- easier access within the home for example, providing stair lifts, widening of doorways etc
- bathroom and shower adaptations
- kitchen adaptations to accommodate wheelchair use
- ramps, handrails and level access door entry
All requests for major adaptations are assessed by occupational therapists from North Yorkshire County Council.
In addition to the Disabled Facilities Grant, we may also be able to provide further assistance for private homeowners, those in private rented, and the social housing sector as explained in our Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy.
Help for council tenants: If you're a Selby District Council tenant, there's a separate service for adaptations.
We are currently consulting on a new draft Disability Facilities Grant policy. You can find out more about the new Policy and have your say on our online form.