Council Tax

Latest news

We’ve set our budget for 2022/23, which includes Council Tax rates.

The amount you pay in Council Tax is set for a whole financial year, which runs from April to March. We make a decision on the level of Council Tax at our Full Council meeting each February.

We recognise this has been a difficult time and we want to support you. The decision has been made to continue to freeze our Council Tax rates for the next year.

Like last year this decision means that all district council services – including your waste and recycling collections, planning, housing support and environmental health services – will cost just £183.22 for the whole year for a Band D property – that’s just £3.52 per week.

Other organisations that are funded through Council Tax have made separate decisions about increases to their part of the bill.  North Yorkshire County Council will be increasing their share of the bill by 3.99% (which includes 2% for the Adult Social Care precept), for an average Band D property this will be £1467.35. The Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner has also increased their shares by 3.69% for the Police and 1.98% for the Fire service, this will be £356.67 for an average Band D property.

Some but not all local Parish and Town Councils have changed their share of the Council Tax, but this will vary between parishes. 

The average bill for a mid-sized (Band D) home in Selby district will be £2,067.41 for the year.  This includes all the charges for all the other organisations funded in this way.

Find out more about Council Tax

Most people pay in monthly instalments, for 10 months. This is really easy to do by Direct Debit.

Click on the buttons below to find out what you need to know about your Council Tax.  Here are full details about how it works.

Keeping safe

Occasionally we hear of people using Council Tax as a way of trying to get money fraudulently.  We want to make you aware of some of the things we know about:

  • Receiving a telephone call from people claiming to be working for us and promising a refund of Council Tax if you give them your bank details.  We may contact you to advise you that your account is in credit and you are due a refund, you would usually be expecting this if you had recently changed your details, such as your address or applied for a discount etc. The quickest way to get a refund is to use our online form on our refunds page
  • A company charging a fee to appeal against your Council Tax band.  You do not need to pay anyone to appeal against your Council Tax band, you can do it yourself.

If you're in any doubt whether a call you receive is genuine, please just ask for the caller's name and tell them you will call them back.  Put down the phone and call us on 01757 705101.