Coronavirus (COVID-19) - Changes to services

Some of our services are affected by Coronavirus.  We need to protect our staff and customers as far as possible.

Customer contact centre and civic centre

Our customer contact centre is closed for walk-in (face-to-face) visits. This is to protect customers and staff.

Our Planning Surgeries and Housing Options surgeries are no longer taking place.  These have been replaced by specific appointments for priority customers.  Where possible, customer enquiries will be by phone but for homeless customers some face to face meetings may still be required.

The Civic Centre reception is closed - there is no walk-in service. You can email us: or call us on 01757 705101,

Don’t forget, you can also do lots of things on this website, including making some payments and reporting issues.

Waste and recycling services ​

All household (kerbside collection) waste and recycling services are continuing as normal. 

Housing services

Face to face visits for services will only take place by exception and following an agreement with a manager.

Our tenant meetings, Estate walkabouts, Housing Surgeries, Keeping in Touch visits and pre-termination visits have been suspended.  The team are contacting all vulnerable tenants.

Sheltered housing schemes have closed communal areas.

Trades Team

Our Trades team are continuing to prioritise emergency repairs. Following the new restrictions all non-emergency (25 day) repairs have been suspended.  

In line the new government guidance we’ve postponed all aids and adaptation non-urgent repairs and installations as well postponed external contractors’ routine repairs. Our contractors are continuing to carry out essential gas and electrical inspection and servicing.

Lifeline Service 

The Lifeline team have suspended home visits but are in contact with customers by telephone and also offering help with shopping and prescriptions (charged at normal rate). We continue to respond to emergencies reported through the pendant alarm.  The Ryecare out of hours service is prioritising essential calls.


We have suspended all evictions from homes and commercial properties, arrear visits and debt collections for Housing Rents and Sundry debt.

Formal action for arrears recovery, NOSP and Court hearings will continue remotely.

Find out more about the housing service during Covid-19 here. 

Environmental Health services 

Most routine Environmental Permits (PPC) Inspections have been suspended. Routine inspections for businesses and sites such as tattooist and caravan sites have also been suspended.

All face to face inspections and monitoring visits for indoor properties and non Covid secure premises have been suspended.

Only food inspections for low risk premises have been suspend.

Leisure services

Our Leisure Centres in Selby and  Tadcaster are now closed as is the Summit Indoor Adventure.  The leisure services team are posting lots of information online to help you stay fit and healthy using Facebook (search for Inspired Selby) and Twitter (search for @ihlSelby). The Wellbeing consultation phone service for clients is continuing. 

Licensing service

All licensing applications should be sent electronically to the team. Keep up to date with any changes to our licensing service here.

Public Spaces

Our play areas remain open. New signs have been installed reminding users to stick to social distancing guidelines and wash hands regularly. Parks and open spaces are open.

Community centres​

Community Centres are closed for day to day use, including laundries.

Planning Services

The team are only undertaking site visits when necessary and strictly on a non-contact basis.


This changes are constantly being reviewed and will be updated as and when government guidance changes.