This Privacy Notice is designed to help you understand how and why the Complaints Team at Selby District Council processes your personal data. This notice should be read in conjunction with the Council’s Corporate Privacy Notice.
Who are we?
Selby District Council is a ‘Data Controller’ as defined by Article 4(7) of the UK General Data Protection Regulation (UK GDPR).
The Council has appointed Veritau to be their Data Protection Officer. Their contact details are: Data Protection Officer, Veritau, West Offices, Station Rise, York, North Yorkshire, YO1 6GD DPO@selby.gov.uk / 01904 552848.
What Personal Data of mine do you collect?
If you make a complaint to the Council, or if you are a direct or indirect party to a complaint, we will collect and use your personal data in order to investigate a complaint. This may include, but is not limited to,
• Any relevant information we hold on Council systems and databases,
• Any information you, or a party to the complaint, provides us with,
• Any information passed to us by any other organisation,
• Witness statements,
• Any relevant correspondence we have had with you or another party to the complaint –including internal correspondence about you,
• Any relevant video recording (including CCTV), audio recordings, or images,
• Investigation interview notes
What is the purpose of collecting my Personal Data?
We collect and process your personal information in order to handle complaints made to the Council.
Who do we obtain your information from?
Much of the information we process will be obtained directly from your complaint or from a complaint made by another individual. However, we may need to collect data about you from, but not necessarily limited to, the following organisations:
• Our appointed Data Protection Officer
• The Police and/or other Law Enforcement bodies
• Local Health and/or social care providers
We may also receive your information via a councillor if you have nominated one to make your complaint for you.
Who do you share this data with?
Within the Council we will disclose any relevant information to any officer that requires the information in order to complete the investigation, to administer the complaint, or to receive advice about how to handle a complaint.
The following organisations may also receive your information if required by law:
- Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman,
- Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman,
- Housing Ombudsman
- Care Quality Commission
- Information Commissioner’s Office
- Any other organisation and/or regulator when the Council is legally required to disclose your information.
How long do you keep this data for?
Data held: Standard Complaint Retention period: Six years upon closure
What is your legal basis for processing this data?
Selby District Council relies on the following lawful basis to process your personal data:
UK GDPR Article 6(1)(c) – processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation to which the controller is subject.
UK GDPR Article 6(1)(e) – processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest
For more information about how the Council uses your data, including your privacy rights and the complaints process, please see our Corporate Privacy Notice.