Club premises certificate

March 2020 Covid19 update – Licensing

To reduce face to face contact in light of the Government’s latest update on Covid19, the Licensing function at the Council is taking the following steps:

Please only submit licensing applications electronically for the foreseeable future.  Payments can still be made by calling 01757 705101.

Applications can be scanned or photographed (you need to ensure that they are readable). If you need advice or have a query about an application or licence please email Licensing in the usual way by emailing:

Please do not visit the Civic Centre unannounced, as we cannot guarantee that there will be anybody available to see you. Instead please contact the Licensing section in the first instance by email or telephone.

If you have haven’t already updated the Licensing Team with an email address consider doing so now.

The Licensing Team will do all that they can to help you and your business through the next few months and recommend that you email us if you have any concerns at all. However, the onus is on you to ensure that any licence you have remains active and valid, following this advice.


Licence Summary

To authorise the supply of alcohol and regulated entertainment in a qualifying club you need a club premises certificate. A qualifying club must have at least 25 members and meet certain conditions as set out in the Licensing Act 2003.

Click here for the application to apply for a club premises certificate. You must also submit a declaration  that you are a qualifying club. Click here for that declaration.

If you hold a club premises certificate and any details of the licence change, such as the club name, club rules or registered address, you must let us know. Click here to tell us about a minor variation to a club premises certificate.

For more significant variations to the club premises certicate click here.

Comment on an Application

If you live or work near the premises of a club which has applied for a licence, you may comment on the application before a certificate is granted. If comments are made, we will have a hearing to consider the application and the representations. We will give details of the reasons for any outcome of such a hearing, and let you know what happens to the application if you commented on it. If you are not happy with the outcome, you can also appeal against it. Find details of current applications for all licence types.

You can also apply for a review of a club premises certificate. You will need to download this form.

Licensing Policy

Our licensing policy is available to view here - Selby District Council - Licensing Policy.

Fire legislation and guidance for businesses

The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 came into effect in October 2006 and replaced over 70 pieces of fire safety law.

The Order applies to all non-domestic premises in England and Wales, including offices, shops, premises that provide care such as care homes and hospitals, community halls, places of worship, pubs/clubs/restaurants, schools, sports centres, hotels, hostels, factories, warehouses and the common parts of blocks of flats or houses in multiple occupation (HMOs). 

Find out more.