Benefits - disputes and appeals

If you think a decision about your Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support is wrong you can:

  • ask us for an explanation
  • ask us to look at it again, or
  • appeal to an independent tribunal

If you would like us to look again at the decision we have made or you want to appeal, you must do this within one month of the date of the decision letter. You must write to us and tell us what part of the decision you do not agree with.

If you would like an explanation of our decision, you must ask us straight away. The one month you are given will only be extended by the time it takes us to send the explanation to you.

You should have received information with your award notification which will help you if you want to write to us.

If you would like to complain

We have a complaint procedure that helps us to deliver a high quality service. If you are unhappy with how we have dealt with your claim or you would like to complain about any aspect of the service please contact us using the details on our Complaints page.