There are two different grants available, depending on your circumstances will depend if you are eligible for either the Discretionary Adaptions Assistance Grant and the Healthy Homes Assistance Grant.
These grants can help people who own their own home, private tenants, and tenants of social landlords (not council tenants) adapt their homes to meet the needs of disabled children and adults.
We are responsible for delivering these grants. If you have any questions, please call us on 01757 705101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The limit for both grants is £6,000 although the amount you receive is decided by an assessment of your finances which considers your income and savings. In certain circumstances, a repayment condition of the grant will be required.
Discretionary Assistance Grant
To be eligible for this grant your application must be supported by a third-party agency, this grant can provide you with financial assistance to:
- Complete repairs to enable adaptations
- Provide additional provisions for people with behavioural or learning difficulties
- Move house rather than adapt your current property
- Have work completed in your home outside of a DFG to meet an assessed need
- Have works done to adapt access to or across communal areas
Terms and conditions for the Discretionary Assistance Grant
- The relevant person must intend to occupy the property as their only or main residence for a period of five years after the works are complete (or such shorter period as the person’s health or other relevant circumstances permit).
- The Council is not responsible for the ongoing maintenance or repairs of the work, and it is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure they adhere to the recommended servicing of any equipment.
- Where the applicant is an owner-occupier and the grant amount is above £5,000, the Council will recover the costs of the grant up to £10,000 if the property is disposed of within 10 years from the date of work completion. This will be placed as a legal charge against the property; however, the Council may waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances in accordance with the grant rules.
Applying for the Discretionary Assistance Grant
Applications must be supported by a third-party supporting agency. Applications submitted without third part support will not be considered.
Complete the online application form, if you need a paper copy of the application, please email email@example.com. If you need support to complete the application form, please contact our Customer Service team 01757 705 101.
Healthy Homes Assistance Grant
To be eligible for the Healthy Homes Assistance Grant, you must be in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Income-related jobseekers’ allowance
- Universal Credit
- Guaranteed pension credit
- Housing benefit
- Working tax credit and income less than £15,050
The Healthy Homes Assistance Grant can provide financial assistance to:
- Complete essential repairs and improvements in order to make your property safe, warm, and weatherproof
- Install or replace central heating systems or improvement to the energy performance of your home
- Have work done to prevent falls around the home
- Provide additional security measures
- Provide flood resilience and prevention
Terms and conditions for the Healthy Homes Assistance Grant
- Written consent from the owner must be obtained before works can commence.
- The Council will not accept more than two applications for assistance within a five-year period.
- Where the applicant is a private tenant, the landlord will be required to make a 50% contribution towards the cost of works, unless not required by the funding organisation.
- Where the applicant is an owner-occupier the Council will recover the costs of the grant if the property is disposed of within 10 years from the date of work completion. This will be placed as a legal charge against the property; however, the Council may waive this requirement in exceptional circumstances in accordance with the grant rules.
Applying for the Healthy Homes Assistance Grant
Complete the online application form, if you need a paper copy of the application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need support to complete the application form, please contact our Customer Service team 01757 705 101.
In addition to these grants and the Disabled Facilities Grant we may also be able to provide further assistance for private homeowners, those in private rented, and the social housing sector as explained in our Private Sector Housing Assistance Policy.