Asbestos Removal Contractors Association
We do not offer a collection service for asbestos. There are two other options available for residents:
- Residents can arrange to have asbestos removed themselves through a private contractor.
- Use one of the following North Yorkshire County Council designated sites.
Tel: 01904 671 964
Mon - Sat: 08:00 - 20:00
Sun: 08:00 - 16:00
Tel: 01609 780780
Nov - Feb: 08:30 - 16:00
Mar & Oct: 08:30 - 17:00
Apr - Sept: 08:30 - 19:00
How much asbestos can I dispose of at a Household Waste Recycling Centre?
Normally six sheets per householder can be disposed of at one time. If, however, you wish to dispose of a larger quantity, you should contact the Household Waste Recycling Centre beforehand and book in your load. You will need to give the following details:
- Telephone number
- Approximate quantity of asbestos for disposal.
It is important to book beforehand as available storage at sites is limited and we would not wish you to make a wasted journey.
Does bonded asbestos need any special handling or packaging?
Asbestos should be handled with care and packaged to avoid release of dust. You should always avoid breaking sheets of asbestos.
Sheets of bonded asbestos for disposal should be dampened with water, wrapped in plastic sheeting and sealed with tape. Do not break up bonded asbestos to make it fit into either bags or the storage skip at the sites.
However, if you do have small broken pieces, they should be dampened with water and securely sealed in heavy duty plastic, eg fertiliser bags. Avoid overfilling as it may cause the bags to puncture and asbestos dust to be released.
What do I do when I arrive at the Household Waste Recycling Centre?
Report to the Site Attendant. He/she will show you to the asbestos storage skip, unlock it and, if required, help you transfer your waste into the skip.
Safety tips when taking down a structure containing asbestos
To minimise exposure and control the spread of asbestos, you need to remember the following general precautions:
- Where it's practical, remove the asbestos cement before the rest of the structure is demolished.
- Where possible, try to avoid breaking the sheets as much as possible.
- Keep the material wet when working on it.
- Where possible, lower the material onto a clean, hard surface.
- Remove waste and debris from the site as soon as possible to prevent it being crushed underfoot or by moving vehicles.
- Do not bulldoze broken asbestos cement or sweep into piles.
- Do not dry sweep asbestos cement debris; and
- dispose of the waste and debris safely.
For full information on asbestos and the best way to deal with it, see the Asbestos Advisory Service website.