Appeal your rateable value

Appeal your 2017 rateable value

You can find and review your rateable value on the VOA’s website.  If you have reason to believe that your 2017 rateable value is not correct, follow the instructions provided on the site.  You will need to do the following (not available until 1 April 2017):

An appeal on your 2017 rateable value is not possible, and may not be necessary, until you have completed CHECK and CHALLENGE.

Appeal your 2010 rateable value

If you own or occupy a property, you can appeal against the rateable value if:

  • you believe the rateable value shown in the rating list on the day it was compiled is inaccurate
  • the rateable value has changed and you think it is now inaccurate
  • there has been a material change in circumstances, eg a physical change in the property or in its locality or a change in use
  • the rating list should show that some part of a property is domestic or exempt but doesn't
  • the rating list should not show that some part of a property is domestic or exempt but does so
  • a property is shown in the list as one entry but ought to be shown as one or more different properties
  • a property is shown in the list as one property but has been divided into more than one property
  • the address or description for a property is incorrect

You can apply to correct your rateable value online. You should make your appeal as soon as possible.

​Your local Valuation Office Agency

Non-Domestic Rates North East

Valuation Office Agency
6th Floor, Castle House 
31 Lisbon Street 


Telephone: 03000 501501

Most appeals are settled by agreement. Where agreement is not reached within three months of receipt of your appeal, it will be automatically referred to the local Valuation Tribunal. The appeal can still be settled by agreement after referral. If agreement cannot be reached the appeal will be heard by the tribunal. You will be notified of the date and time of the hearing. You do not have to go to the hearing, but it is advisable to do so. You can state your case in writing if you prefer. The only costs you will pay will be for your professional adviser if you employ one. You will have to pay your rates in full until a decision has been reached. If your appeal is successful, we will refund any overpayment with interest.

The Valuation Tribunal Service is an independent, legal body that deals with business rates and council tax appeals. You can find your local Valuation Tribunals service through the Valuation Tribunals website. Their address is:

Hepworth House
Unit 2 Trafford Court
Telephone: 01302 342 324

Rating advisers

Ratepayers do not have to be represented in discussions about their rateable value or rates bill. Appeals can be made free of charge. Ratepayers who do wish to be represented should be aware that members of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and Institute of Revenues Ratings and Valuation are qualified and are regulated by rules of professional conduct designed to protect the public from misconduct. Before you employ a rating adviser, check that they have the necessary knowledge and expertise as well as appropriate indemnity insurance. Take great care and, if necessary, seek further advice before entering into any contract.