Anti-Social Behaviour (ASB)

We firmly believes that every tenant has the right to enjoy their home free from anti-social behaviour.

Anti-social behaviour is behaviour that is considered to be unacceptable to a community or individual, which includes (but is not limited to):

As a Council we work closely with North Yorkshire Police, North Yorkshire County Council and health and voluntary agencies through the Safer Communities Partnership to prevent and resolve anti-social behaviour. We also meet regularly as a statutory partner of Safer Selby Hub, to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour across the district.

When problems cannot be resolved, the Council is able to take legal action against the offenders of anti-social behaviour, which may include seeking an injunction to prevent certain individuals from being at a particular property, or serving a notice to seek possession of a property.

Threatening behaviour

If you are being threatened in any way, you should first contact the police then let your local Neighbourhood Officer know.

We take all complaints seriously. We will investigate your complaint and try to resolve the situation. However, we will need your help and this may involve making a statement about what has happened.


Tenants are responsible for the behaviour of their children and any visitors to their home. If your children are involved in anti-social behaviour anywhere in the district, your tenancy may be put at risk.


Tenants will need permission to keep an animal in their home. Tenants are responsible for the behaviour of their animals and any damage which is caused to the property. Full details of your responsibility regarding your pet can be found in the Responsible Pet Agreement.

Issues with Neighbours

If you have a problem with your neighbour, you may simply need to speak to them. Perhaps they are not aware that they are upsetting you. Activities which often cause nuisance include:

  • Noise
  • DIY work and car repairs
  • Rubbish
  • Uncontrolled animals and children

If you feel unable to speak to your neighbour, or you are not satisfied with their response, please contact your Neighbourhood Officer who can discuss and help you with the most appropriate way to deal with the behaviour causing you problems.

ARCH Resolution

We may suggest, should a neighbour dispute be unable to be resolved by the two parties is the ARCH resolution service who will work with you to resolve differences, find agreements and avoid conflicts in future.

Housing Fraud

Properties that are fraudulently obtained through providing incorrect information when applying for a council home, completing a Right to Buy application or tenants who have misused, sublet or abandoned a council home are criminal offences which could result in prosecution. Anyone convicted of housing fraud may receive substantial fines, a prison sentence and criminal record.

If you have concerns that someone is committing fraud please call Veritau on 0800 9179 247 or send your concerns in an email to