Statements of Accounts
All councils have to publish a Statement of Accounts covering specified matters. It shows how we have used public money and that we have been honest and responsible. We try to make this document meet the needs of a wide range of different people, but to see how well the Council delivers services you may also want to look at our Annual Report.
In addition to your statutory rights, we welcome your feedback on whether the Statement of Accounts is clear, informative and useful.
Find out more:
The Statement of Accounts for 2018/19 sets out the full financial details of the Councils activities for the year ended 31 March 2019.
Final audit closure certificate for 2018/19
Council's Accounts - Your Rights - summarises your rights to inspect, question and challenge councils' accounts. It starts with a short outline and then gives you more details if you want to know more.
Previous Statments of Accounts
Please see previous statments of accounts on the following page.
Role of the Finance Section
The Finance Section at Selby District Council carries out the following duties:
- Preparing the annual accounts and budgets for the Council, including their associated publications;
- Ensuring the financial records of the Council are kept in good order;
- Providing comprehensive financial information and advice to the Service Units and Committees of the Authority;
- Compiling statutory and statistical returns to Government Departments and the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy;
- Maintaining insurance covers for the Council; and
- Managing the investments and borrowing of the Council.
The key objectives of the Finance Section are:
- closing down of accounts and the production of relevant statements by annual deadlines;
- preparing annual budgets for the annual Committee cycle;
- maintaining and upgrading computer systems;
- collating and publishing the Citizens Charter Indicators;
- collecting the Best Value Performance Indicators; and
- maintaining quality control measures.