Any person carrying on a business of boarding dogs and cats must be licensed to do so by their local authority. In Selby district, there are a number of boarding establishments listed below which are licensed to board animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act. These establishments are inspected at least once a year, before we issue a licence. We pay particular attention to the construction and conditions of buildings and the welfare of boarded animals.
The licence which is issued by us should be on display at the premises at all times. Whilst all licensed premises meet at least the minimum standards of our model licence conditions, we advise all pet owners to check that the services offered by the establishments meet with their individual requirements.
An applicant must not be disqualified from any of the following at the time of the application:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment.
- Keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951.
- Keeping animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954.
- Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Welfare Act 2006.
Any pet owner within Selby district who has concerns about the conditions or practices at any licensed premises should contact us without delay and immediate action will be taken.
Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached. The following criteria will be considered when the application is being evaluated:
- That the animals will be kept in suitable accommodation at all times. Suitable accommodation takes into account the construction and size of the accommodation, the number of animals to be housed in it, facilities for exercising the animals, cleanliness and temperature, lighting and ventilation provisions.
- That suitable food, drink and bedding materials will be provided and that the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- That steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- That adequate protection is provided to the animals in the case of fire and other emergencies.
- That a register is kept. The register should contain a description of all animals received, their arrival and departure date and the name and address of the owner. The register should be available to be inspected at any time by a local authority officer, veterinary surgeon or practitioner.
The applicable fees for 18/19 are:
- Initial licence £210.10 (Renewal £119.60)
- Initial restricted home boarding £106.60 (Renewal £60.90)
Will tacit consent apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us.
Apply for an animal boarding licence
- Model licence conditions for dog boarding establishments - pdf
- Model licence conditions for cat boarding establishments - pdf
- Animal Boarding Establishment licence form - doc
Restricted Animal Boarding Application Form and Guidance Notes
- Restricted 'Home Boarding' Conditions - pdf
- Animal boarding establishment restricted licence form - doc
Failed application and complaints
Please contact us if you wish to appeal a refused application or have a complaint about our service. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local magistrates' court.
These are the establishments that are currently licensed by Selby District Council:
- Aristocats, Escrick - 01904 728781
- Catnaps, Monk Fryston - 01977 681661
- Chevinside Kennels & Cattery, Wistow - 01757 268380
- Clipsall Wood Kennels, Womersley - 01977 661281
- Danewalk Pet Hotel, Brotherton, Knottingley - 01977 674379
- Doggi Divas, Walden Stubbs - 07841 866392.
- Fairview Boarding Kennels, Sherburn – 01977 683195
- Hales Garth Farm Kennels, Drax - 01757 618555
- Harewood Cattery at Hillam, Hillam - 01977 684957
- High Trees Kennel & Cattery, Gateforth - 01757 228547
- Pointer Farm Kennels, South Milford - 01977 685724
- S & D Pinchin, Goole, - 01405 861631
- Snowlandia Kennels & Cattery, Stillingfleet - 01904 728235
- Woodhaven Kennels & Cattery, South Milford - 01977 685404
Restricted Animal Home Boarding Establishments
These are establishments where the animals are kept within the occupants house rather than kennels.
- Ms A Petkus, Appleton Roebuck, 07763 006383
- Mrs A Landers, Brayton, 01757 713039
- Ms L Kilburn, Church Fenton, 07772 021868
- Mr C & Mrs J Naylor, Hemingbrough, 07852 978425
- Mr D & Mrs S Firth, Gladwags, Hensall, 01977 663935
- Mrs K Wannop, Riccall, 01757 249043
- Mr J & Mrs H Chamberlain, Selby, 07463 006181
- Ms D Heslington, K9 Care, Selby, 07718 377779
- Ms P Tyson, Selby, 01757 292561 / 07814 686868
- Ms R York, Selby, 07562 323459
- Ms S Clemmit, Paws in the Countryside, Tadcaster, 07903 829692
- Mr J Sugden, Selby Pet Carers, Thorpe Willoughby, 01757 700920