Alterations and Adaptations

Right to make improvements/ or alterations

Tenants may wish to carry out improvements to their home at their own expense, such as erecting a shed in their garden. However, introductory tenants do not have a right to make improvements to their home.

Before carrying out any improvements to your home, you must contact us stating what improvements you wish to make. Once we have reviewed your request, we will contact you to advise whether you have permission or not. You must get permission for the following:

  • Install laminate flooring
  • Fit satellite dishes
  • Put a garage, greenhouse or shed in the garden
  • Remove, change or replace any walls and fences
  • Decorate the outside of your house
  • Cut down or remove any tree or hedge
  • Build a patio, hard standing or driveway
  • Fitting a new kitchen or bathroom
  • Allowing people to stay at your property longer than 4 weeks
  • Sublet part, or the whole, of your property
  • Keep any pets or animals (we will take into consideration the type of property you live in)
  • Run a business from your home 

This list is not exhaustive. 


If you are having difficulty managing in your home because of illness or disability, in partnership with the County Council, we may be able carry out adaptations to help you live life as fully and independently as possible. Adaptations can include fitting small items such as grab rails or an additional stair rail, or larger items such as showers or ramps to door entrances.

The Council works closely with North Yorkshire County Council’s Health and Adult Services team. Most requests for adaptations will require an Occupational Therapist to visit you, make a professional assessment of your need and recommend the most appropriate adaptation.

If you would like to have a discussion about adaptations, please contact North Yorkshire County Council can be found by clicking here