Additional Help During Your Tenancy

Struggling to pay rent? It is important that you contact Selby District Council’s Rent Team and they will be able to help you as your tenancy may be be at risk if you fall into arrears.

You may be eligible for Housing Benefit, Council Tax Reduction or Universal Credit to assist in paying your rent, or another benefit which would increase your household income. If you would like advice on how to pay your rent. You can contact the Housing Rents Team to discuss payments options.

All Universal Credit claims must be made directly to DWP online. Your application may take up to 6 weeks to process, so you need to make a claim as soon as possible and keep your housing rents team up to date with the progress of your claim. 

The amount of benefit you may receive will depend on:

  • The amount of rent or Council Tax you are expected to pay.

  • Your income and any savings or investments you have.

  • The number, ages, income and circumstances of people in your family or other people living in your home.

You are not entitled to Housing Benefit if you have more than £16,000 in capital or savings, unless you are receiving Guarantee Pension Credit.

Speak to our Customer Contact Centre to report  a change in circumstances, provide details, enquire about your claim or ask for a trial assessment to see if you may qualify for benefit.

Selby Advice

Selby Advice is a network of organisations from within the voluntary and community sector providing advice and information services available for people within Selby District.

Selby Advice can help find support in areas such as debt and/or money advice or mental health for example, all in one place. You can find suitable advice on


Delivering specialist drug and alcohol services, commissioned by North Yorkshire County Council.

Horton Housing

Horton Housing aim to meet the housing and support needs of some of the most socially excluded and vulnerable people in our community. Horton Housing also provides information, advice and sign-posting, along with practical support along with the development of life skills with social and peer support.

Selby STAY Well

STAY well is a floating support service for people with mental health issues living in the Selby district, who need housing related support to maximise and sustain their  independence in the community, and to achieve their rehabilitation and recovery goals.


Support and response for all those experiencing or affected by domestic abuse, or find themselves in an unhealthy relationship.

Salvation Army 

A worldwide Christian church and charity extending a helping hand to those who are homeless, friendless and in need.