Strategic Housing Market Assessment 2009
Selby District Council has published its Strategic Housing Market Assessment (SHMA) which was undertaken by consultants, Arc 4.
The SHMA will form a fundamental part of the evidence base for the progression and implementation of the Council's Local Development Framework and the North Yorkshire sub-regional Housing Strategy and Local Action Plans. The report provides a detailed analysis of the current & future housing market and the types of housing requirements specific to the district.
The key findings from the analysis are summarised below:
- On an annual basis, there is an overall requirement across Selby District for 1,119 dwellings of which 710 (63.4%) is for market housing and 409 (36.6%) for affordable.
- There is a strong demand for open market housing from households within Selby District and in-migrants, who account for around one-third of market demand.
- Across Selby District as a whole, demand outstrips supply for all property types, with a particular shortfall of bungalows.
- The evidence shows that there is a clear, strong need for affordable housing across the Selby District. There is a gross annual shortfall of 409 affordable dwellings and a net shortfall of 378.
- A variety of affordable housing should be provided with particular emphasis on affordable housing for general needs (2 and 3 bed properties).
- There is a requirement for both affordable homes for rent and intermediate housing options; analysis suggests a split in the range 30-50% intermediate and 50-70% social rent across the District is appropriate.
- The vast majority of older people (78.7%) want to continue to live in their current home with support when needed and 26% would consider sheltered accommodation.
- 4.8% of Black and Minority Ethnic groups are in some form of housing need.
The main report and the executive summary is available to download using the links below:
- Selby 2009 - Strategic Housing Market Assessment - doc
- Selby District 2009 - Strategic Housing Market Assessment Executive Summary- doc
The Executive Summary - pdf is available to download from this page. Requirements for the provision of affordable housing can be found in the Development Contributions Supplementary Planning Document adopted by the Council in March 2007.
North Yorkshire strategic housing market assesment - November 2011
The North Yorkshire strategic housing market assesment (SHMA) was undertaken by consultants GVA. The findings of this research will be used to inform each authority’s housing policy, Local Development Framework and negotiations on planning applications. The main report is available using the link below:
For more information please contact the Policy team using the contact details below.