You can enquire about any aspect of claiming Council Tax or Housing Benefits online
If you think a decision about your Benefit is wrong
If you think a decision about your Housing or Council Tax Benefit is wrong you can:
- ask us for an explanation
- ask us to look at it again, or
- appeal to an independent tribunal
If you would like us to look again at the decision we have made or you want to appeal, you must do this within one month of the date of the decision letter. You must write to us and tell us what part of the decision you do not agree with.
If you would like an explanation of our decision, you must ask us straight away. The one month you are given will only be extended by the time it takes us to send the explanation to you.
You should have received a booklet when you applied for Benefit, which will help you if you want to write to us.
Please contact the Customer Services Team in the Housing Benefit Section if you:
- would like a booklet explaining what to do
- would like more information, or
- if you disagree with a decision on your Benefit
This service is available on-line
If you would like to complain
We have a complaint procedure that helps us to deliver a high quality service. If you are unhappy with how we have dealt with your claim or you would like to complain about any aspect of the service please contact the Customer Service team.
- we will decide Benefit claims within 14 days of receiving all the information we need to process the claim
- we will carry out a trial assessment if you ask us
- we will deal with personal callers to the reception area or on the phone politely, efficiently and promptly
- private interview rooms are available for personal callers if necessary, and you can make an appointment
- we aim to see personal callers at the office within 15 minutes and deal with all enquiries within 30 minutes
- we will visit you at home if you are unable to get to the Civic Centre
- the phone lines are open for enquiries a minimum of 36 hours a week (except Bank Holidays)
- we will tell all new claimants everything they need to know about their claim
- we will give you details of your rights of appeal with every Benefit notice we issue and you can get more information if you ask
- tell the Benefits Section immediately and send us documentary evidence of any change in your circumstances that affects your claim
- send us accurate information and documentary evidence to support of your application
- send us all the information we need as quickly as possible
- not delay returning claim forms
- read all correspondence fully and respond appropriately
- be polite and patient when calling by phone or in person