The owner of a riding establishment must be licensed by Selby District Council Licensing Department. This is to satisfy the Riding Establishment Act 1964 and 1970 for the keeping of horses for hire and instruction.
Applicants must be over 18 years of age and must have not been disqualified:
- From keeping a riding establishment.
- From keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951.
- From having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954.
- From keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.
- Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals.
- From owning, keeping dealing or transporting animals under the Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006.
We will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. We must also be satisfied of the following:
- That consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose.
- That the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition.
- That there will be suitable accommodation for the horses.
- That for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed.
- That horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals.
- That precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained.
- That appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed.
- That storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided.
In addition to any other conditions a Riding Establishment Licence must be subject to the following conditions:
- That any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work.
- That a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the licence holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision.
- That the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age.
- That the licence holder holds indemnity insurance.
- That the licence holder keeps a register of all horses in their possession that are three years old or younger and that the register is available for inspection at all reasonable times.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by using the contact details below.
Application for a Licence
Failed Application Redress
Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
Please see our Public Registers page with regards to viewing registers.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to us - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this is insufficient, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Local Riding Establishments
The following horse-riding establishments are licensed by Selby District Council:
Angel Riding & Livery Centre
Morton Lane, Hambleton, Selby, YO8 9LE - 07833 500333
Lime Oaks Equestrian Centre
Woodhall, South Duffield, Selby, YO8 6TG - 07709781858
Cobcroft Lane, Cridling Stubb, Knottingley - 07725517339 or 07917218735
Queen Margarets Riding School
Escrick Park, Escrick, York, YO19 6JS - 01904 728632
Saxton Riding School
Coldhill Lane, Saxton, Tadcaster, LS24 9TA - 01937 557363
Jacksons Lane, Stapleton, Pontefract, WF8 3HZ - 01977 620374
West Bank Riding Stables
21 West Bank, Carlton, DN14 9PZ - 07717475807