To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet. A person who runs a pet shop must be licensed by Selby District Council.
Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop. A fee, determined by Selby District Council, will be payable on application.
Pet Animals Act 1951 as amended by the Pet Animals Act 1951 (Amendment) Act 1983 - A Summary of the Regulation of this Licence.
Please also read our Standard Licence Conditions for Pet Shops - pdf.
Application Evaluation Process
We will renew the licence annually after an inspection by Environmental Health staff who make sure:
- Animals are kept at all times in accommodation suitable for size, temperature, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness.
- Animals are adequately supplied with suitable food and drink and visited at suitable intervals.
- Animals are sold at an appropriate age.
- Precautions are taken to prevent the spread of disease.
- All necessary fire precautions have been taken.
Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by using the contact details below.
Apply for a Licence
Failed Application Redress
Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
Please see our Public Registers page with regards to viewing registers.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to us - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this is insufficient, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
To find out further information please contact our Licensing Section using our Online Enquiry Form.
Pet Care Trust (PCT)
List of Licensed Pet Shops
The following petshops are licensed in the Selby District:
- Selby Garden Centre, Hull Road, Osgodby, Selby, Tel 01757 708658.
- Crows Auctions, Londesborough Yard, Selby, North Yorkshire.
- A19 Koi & Pond Supplies, Bell Farm, Riccall Road, Escrick.
- Pets at Home, Unit C1, Three Lakes Retail Park, Bawtry Road, Selby.
- Ranchu Aquatics, 6 Brook Street, Selby.
- Too Hoots Nurseries, Hirst Road, Carlton.
Get Your Waste SORTED!
Do you know that we offer a comprehensive and competitive commercial waste and recycling service right across Selby District? All businesses have a legal duty to ensure they are dealing with their waste correctly and we can help you meet these obligations and save money! Recycling with us is up to 50% cheaper than sending your waste to landfill. Visit our SORTED homepage for more details.