Selby District Council has a duty to licence Scrap Metal Dealers under the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964. To be a scrap metal dealer, you need to register with us.
A scrap metal dealer shall be classed as carrying on a business in the local authority area if any of the following apply:
- The dealer occupies a place as a scrap metal store in the area.
- The dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but has a usual place of residence in the area.
- The dealer does not occupy a place as a scrap metal store but occupies a place for business purposes.
A Summary of the Regulation of this Licence
Application Evaluation Process
Applicants must provide the following:
- Their full name.
- The address of the dealer, or in the case of a company, their registered or principal office.
- The address of each place occupied as a scrap metal store.
- If the business is carried on without a scrap metal store.
- If the business is carried on without a scrap metal store but the applicant. occupies a place for the purposes of business, and the address of such a place.
The registered dealer must notify the local authority of any changes to these details or if they cease to be a scrap metal dealer. In addition, any Scrap Metal Dealer who deals wholly or partly in motor salvage must also be registered under the Motor Salvage Operators Regulations 2000.
Persons dealing in scrap metal, or who have a business dismantling vehicles, must be registered with the Council. The purpose of registration is to prevent crime. Registered persons are required to keep details of stock and are under other obligations with regard to scrapped vehicles. Although Council's maintain the registers, the Police enforce the requirements imposed on registered persons.
Will Tacit Consent Apply?
No. It is in the public interest that Selby District Council must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within 14 days, please contact us. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service or by using the contact details below.
Applying for a Licence
To find out further information please contact our Licensing Section using our Online Enquiry Form.
Failed Application Redress
Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance. Any applicant who is refused a licence can appeal to their local Magistrates' court.
Please see our Public Registers page with regards to viewing registers.
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made to us - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If this is insufficient, if you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre.
Get Your Waste SORTED!
Do you know that we offer a comprehensive and competitive commercial waste and recycling service right across Selby District? All businesses have a legal duty to ensure they are dealing with their waste correctly and we can help you meet these obligations and save money! Recycling with us is up to 50% cheaper than sending your waste to landfill. Visit our SORTED homepage for more details.