A-Z: A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y  
  Agendas & Minutes
  Building Control
  Core Strategy
  Council & Democracy
  Council Tax
  Councillor Details
  Elections 2015
  Electoral Services
  Jobs & Careers
  Online Payments
  Parish Councils
  Parish Vacancies
  PLAN Selby
  Plans & Strategies
  Contact Us
  Standards &
arrow A to Z
arrowCouncil Tax

Council Tax Installments

As it was necessary to issue replacement Council Tax bills in March 2013 the first monthly instalment was due in May, rather than April.
A standard ten-month instalment plan for this year therefore finished  in February 2014, rather than January 2014.  Please refer to the bottom of your Council Tax bill for your instalment plan. The next ten month instalment plan will start from April 2014 and finish in January 2015, therefore returning to the standard billing pattern.

Methods of Paying

Direct Debit - Paying your Council Tax by direct debit is the easiest, most convenient and cost effective way to pay.

To start paying your Council Tax by Direct Debit please telephone us on 01757 292181 to set this up. If you are not able to telephone us you can download the Direct Debit form and return it to us at the address on the form.

Other payment methods:

  • Online - click here to use the Bill Pay function and pay your Council Tax online.
  • Debit/Credit card - we accept all major debit and credit cards. Please call the 24 hour FREE phone number on 0800 3890170 or call into Access Selby to use the self service machine.
  • Standing order - Please contact Access Selby for further details. You will need to allow 7 days for your payment to be received by the Council.
  • Payment Card - You can use the card at any Post Office in the UK or any Payzone outlet offering the Bill Pay facility. Payments will appear on your account in 3 working days. Please contact Access Selby for further details.
  • National Giro - You must use the Transfer Form provided by the Post Office and quote Selby District Councils Giro Number 6012515 and your Council Tax account number. Please allow 7 days for your payment to be received by the Council.
  • Payment is due by 10 monthly or 12 monthly instalments, if payments are not kept up to date recovery action will commence.

Paying your Council Tax over 12 months

Normally you are asked to pay your Council Tax over 10 months starting in April.  If you pay all of the instalments due you do not have anything left to pay in February and March.

Due to a change in the law everyone now has the right to request payment of council Tax over 12 months. Find out more information by clicking here.

If you are having difficulties paying your Council Tax please contact us immediately on 01757 292181 - don't wait until we send you a reminder. We will be able to advise you of the options available to you and make sure you are getting any discounts/exemptions/benefit you are entitled to.

Registering for Council Tax

You need to tell us if you move home into, out of, or within Selby District so that we can ensure that the Council Tax bill for the property you are living in is correct. The following forms ask for the information that we need. You can fill these out and then either print them off or e-mail them to us at localtaxation@selby.gov.uk

Are you entitled to Council Tax Benefit?

If you would like an estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to, please telephone us on 01757 292155 and ask for a 'trial assessment'. Then use the online form to make a claim.

This service is also available to enquire about online

What happens to the Council Tax you pay?

We only take a small proportion of the Council Tax that you pay. We collect Council Tax on behalf of all of the Precepting Authorities in the area - that is all of the Authorities that have the right to set a Council Tax charge. The majority of the Council Tax you pay goes to North Yorkshire County Council. Next in line are North Yorkshire Police Authority, then Selby District Council. After that it is North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Authority. 

The amounts payable for these Authorities is the same wherever you live in the District. Depending on where you live in the District, there is also a charge for the Parish Council, though if you live in Selby itself, this is the Town Council. This charge depends on the amount set by the relevant Parish or Town Council. In some cases there is no charge levied.
For example, If you live in a Band D property in Selby, the Council Tax you pay for the whole of 2014/15 will be divided up among the Precepting Authorities as follows:

North Yorkshire County Council £1,078.52
North Yorkshire Police Authority £208.62
Selby District Council £162.00
Selby Town Council £104.38
North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Authority      £63.33
Total Costs £1,616.85
If you live in a Band D property in Monk Fryston the Council Tax payable for the year is:

North Yorkshire County Council £1,078.52
North Yorkshire Police Authority £208.62
Selby District Council £162.00
North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Authority £63.33
Monk Fryston Parish Council                 £41.65
Total Costs  £1,554.12

The Council Tax that is billed and collected by Selby District Council includes amounts for all of the Major Precepting Authorities who cover the District of Selby - please click here for further information.

Council Tax Demand Notice - Explanatory Notes

1. Council Tax Valuation Bands

Most domestic dwellings must pay Council Tax.

There is one bill per dwelling, whether it is a:

  • House;
  • Bungalow;
  • Flat;
  • Maisonette;
  • Mobile home;
  • Houseboat and 

whether it is:

  • Owned; or
  • Rented.

Each dwelling falls into one of eight bands according to its open market capital value at 1 April 1991.

Valuation Band Range of Values

  • A = Up to and including £40,000
  • B = £40,001 - £52,000
  • C = £52,001 - £68.000
  • D = £68,001 - £88,000
  • E = £88,001 - £120,000
  • F = £120,001 - £160,000
  • G = £160,001 - £320,000
  • H = More than £320,000

Your Council Tax bill tells you which band applies to your dwelling. The exact amount you will pay for each valuation band will vary depending on which parish council you live in.

To find out how much you will pay for each valuation band in your parish council for the year please view our Parish Bands:

2. Discounts

The full Council Tax bill assumes that the dwelling is the sole or main residence of two or more adults.

If only one adult lives in a dwelling (as their main home), we will reduce the Council Tax bill by a quarter (25%).

If you have been granted a discount which you believe you are not entitled to, or you think you are entitled to a discount but of a smaller amount, you are legally required to tell the Council within 21 days. If you fail to do this, you may be fined a £50 penalty.

People in the following groups do not count towards the number of adults resident in a dwelling:

  • Full time students
  • Apprentices
  • Student nurses
  • Youth training trainees
  • Patients resident in hospital
  • People who are being looked after in Care Homes
  • People who are severely mentally impaired
  • People staying in certain hostels or night shelters
  • Careworkers working for low pay (usually for charities)
  • 18 & 19 year olds who are at or have just left school
  • Members of visiting forces
  • Members of certain International Institutions
  • People caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • People in prison (except those in prison for non payment of Council Tax or a fine)
  • People with diplomatic privileges and immunities, and
  • Members of religious communities (monks & nuns).
Downloadable Forms

Single Resident Discount Form - pdf

Students - pdf

Apprentices - pdf

Youth Trainee - pdf

Careworkers - doc

Severe Mentally Impairment - doc

Disabled Persons - pdf

Detained persons - pdf

Child Benefit - pdf

Change of Circumstances - pdf

3. People with disabilities

If you, or someone who lives with you, need a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill. The bill may be reduced so that it falls into the band immediately below its normal band.

These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on space they need because of a disability. From April 2000 Band 'A' properties have also qualified for the reduced banding.

If you think you may be eligible, please contact the Local Taxation Section for an application form.

You can telephone them on (01757) 292181/2/3 (several lines) or email them at localtaxation@selby.gov.uk

4. Exempt dwellings

Some dwellings are exempt, including those occupied only by students, and vacant properties which are:

  • Owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • Left empty by someone who has gone into prison
  • Left empty by someone who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home or elsewhere
  • Left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person
  • Left empty by students
    Waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after)
  • Have been repossessed
  • The responsibility of the trustee of a bankrupt
  • Empty because their occupation is forbidden by law
  • Waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion
  • Unoccupied caravan pitches and moorings
  • Only occupied by people under 18 years old
  • Empty granny flats/annexes which cannot be let separately
  • Only occupied by severely mentally impaired people
  • Occupied by a person who has diplomatic privileges or immunities, or
  • Granny flats/annexes occupied by an elderly dependant relative aged 65 years or more, or a dependant relative who is substantially or permanently disabled.

Armed Forces barracks and married quarters are also exempt; their occupants will contribute to the cost of local services through a special arrangement. If you think your property may be exempt you should contact the Local Taxation Section.

5. Annexes

From 1st April 2014 a 50% reduction in the amount of Council Tax payable will apply for people living in annexes provided they are related to the person liable to pay the Council Tax of the main dwelling. This also applies to people living in dwellings with annexes which are unoccupied provided they are using those annexes as part of their main residence. If you think you may qualify please contact us.

6. Empty properties

Second homes and long-term empty homes are liable for the full Council Tax charge.

Properties undergoing major structural repairs

Homes that are uninhabitable and unfurnished because of major repairs, renovations or alterations may be eligible to receive a discount of 20% for up to 12 months.  This discount can only be applied following a site inspection.

Short-term empty and unfurnished dwellings

Homes that are empty and unfurnished may receive a Council Tax discount for up to six months or until the property becomes occupied.  The discount will be 100% for the first calendar month and then 20% for the remaining five months of the discount period.

You cannot claim both the empty & unfurnished discount and the structural repair discount at the same time. You must inform us immediately if the property becomes occupied or no longer qualifies for the discount awarded.

To apply, please contact Access Selby on 01757 705101 or info@selby.gov.uk.

7. Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support can help you pay your Council Tax bill if you are on a low income.

Council Tax Support is not a state benefit, but a Council Tax discount scheme.  Whilst the entitlement of pension age people is assessed on their full Council Tax liability, all working age people currently have to pay the first 8.5% of their Council Tax. Click here to find out more.

Please continue to pay your usual Council Tax as your application does not mean you will automatically qualify for Support.

8. Appeals

The grounds for appeal are restricted. These are where:

  • You believe that the banding should be changed because there has been a material increase or material reduction (this is explained below) in the dwellings value.
  • You start or stop using part of your dwelling to carry out a business, or the balance between domestic and business use changes.
  • The Listing Officer has altered a list without a proposal having been made by a taxpayer.
  • You become the taxpayer in respect of a dwelling for the first time.
  • You believe your Council Tax Support award is not correct.

You must make your appeal within six months. If the same appeal has already been considered and determined by a Valuation Tribunal, it cannot be made again.

A material increase in value may result from:

  • Building.
  • Engineering.
  • Other work carried out on the dwelling.

In these cases revaluation does not take place until after a sale - so the person appealing would usually be the new owner or resident.

A material reduction in value may result from:

  • The demolition of any part of the dwelling.
  • Any change in the physical state of the local area.
  • An adaptation to make the dwelling suitable for use by someone with a physical disability.

In these cases revaluation should take place as soon as possible.

You may also appeal if you think you are not liable to pay Council Tax. Examples of this could be:

  • You are not the resident or owner.
  • Your property is exempt.
  • Selby District Council has made a mistake in calculating your bill.

If you wish to appeal on these grounds you must first notify the Local Taxation Section in writing that you want your case to be considered. Making an appeal does not allow you to withhold payment of any Council Tax you owe in the meantime.

If your appeal is successful you will be entitled to a refund of any overpaid tax. Further details of the appeal procedures (including the role of Valuation Tribunals) may be obtained from The Valuation Office Agency, Telephone (01904) 528000 or Selby District Council.

You may also find it useful to visit the Benefits section of our website which deals with Council Tax Benefits.

Failure to pay

If you get into arrears with your instalments we will send a reminder showing how much you need to pay to bring your account up to date. We will not issue any more than two reminders in each financial year. If you do not pay, or you bring your account up to date but fail to make future payments on time, you will lose the right to pay by instalments, a Final Notice will be issued and the full charge will become due.

If this happens and you do not pay the full charge, a summons will be issued and the council will take action through the Magistrates' Court to obtain a liability order against you. All costs associated with this action will be added to your bill.

A liability order gives the Council further powers to collect the debt including:

  • Attachment to Earnings.
  • Attachment to Benefits. 

From 06 April 2014 the council can instruct an Enforcement Agent to collect outstanding Council Tax debt from you if a liability order has been issued in your name.

We will do this if you have not made, or not maintained an agreed repayment plan, or if you have not completed and returned the request for information form sent to you.

The Enforcement Agent will contact you to arrange payment in full or by instalments. You must answer his letters, e mails or calls and arrange payment.

If your debt is passed to an Enforcement Agent you will incur a fixed Compliance Fee of £75 for each liability order outstanding and they will issue an Enforcement Notice to you.

Any payments or offers of repayment should then be made to the Enforcement Agent and not the Council.

Enforcement Visit

If you do not arrange to pay the Enforcement Agent, or arrange to make payment and then do not pay as agreed, they will visit you. If they visit there is a fixed Enforcement Fee of £235 plus 7.5% of any balance owed over £1500.00.

The Enforcement Agent will normally ask you for payment in full. However if you are unable to do this they may make a repayment arrangement with you.

Controlled Goods Agreement

The Enforcement Agent may enter into a Controlled Goods Agreement where the agent makes a list of your possessions that is equal in value to your debt. If your possessions are subject to a Controlled Goods Agreement, you cannot dispose of or sell them without the Enforcement Agents permission.

If you do not sign the Controlled Goods Agreement the Enforcement Agent can take your goods whilst they are at the property.

Sale and Removal of Goods

If you do not pay as agreed and you have signed a Controlled Goods Agreement, the Enforcement Agent may enter your property, by force if necessary, to take the goods listed. If goods have to be removed and sold there are additional costs of £110 plus 7.5% of any balance due above £1500.00. There may also be extra costs to pay for locksmiths, auctioneers fees etc. relating to the sale of the goods. If the Enforcement Agent believes that there are insufficient goods to clear the debt, we will then consider other recovery options such as bankruptcy, a charging order against your property, or applying for your committal to prison.

Council Tax Scams

There are two types of Council Tax scams that we are aware of:

Council Tax Refunds

People have received telephone calls from people claiming to be working for the Council promising a refund of Council Tax and asking for their bank details.  We never contact people to ask for their bank details in such cases and you should not give these details out over the phone.  Where payment has been received by cheque, we will refund by cheque.  Where we have received payment by Direct Debit we already hold your bank details and will process any refund to the same account. 

In rare circumstances we may ask you to verify that we are sending money to the correct account, especially if payment details have changed, but in doing so we are asking you to confirm that the information we are quoting is correct - we will not ask you to provide bank account information we do not already hold.  If you are in any doubt that a call you receive is genuine, ask for the caller's name and tell them you will call them back; end the call and telephone 01757 292181.

Council Tax Re-Banding

A number of companies charge people to appeal against the Council Tax Band their property is in.  They may telephone you or appear at your door.  You do not need to pay anyone to appeal against your Council Tax Band.  Council Tax Bands are set by the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) who have provided some helpful advice on their website on 'how to deal with scams'.

The VOA have produced a guide called 'What to do if you disagree with your council tax banding'.

Useful Links

Housing and Council Tax Benefit 

Business Rates (National Non Domestic Rates) 

Benefit Fraud 

If there is anything else you

GOV.UK - includes information on:

  • Your Council Tax band
  • Challenging your Council Tax band
  • Problems paying Council Tax and financial help
  • If your Council Tax bill is wrong
  • Council Tax discounts and exemptions

VOA - check the correct council tax band for all homes in England and Wales.

Citizens Advice Bureau - Advice Guide - independent information on Council Tax.

Fair Processing Notice - information on this is available on our dedicated page.


Bill Pay
Click here to access online payments
arrow Contact Details
Contact NameLocal Taxation
AddressCivic Centre
Doncaster Road
North Yorkshire
Telephone01757 292181/2/3
  A to Z Services
  Ask the Leader
  Online Services
  Public Access
  Street Scene
  Dog Adoption
  Career Opportunities
  Location Map
Direct Gov
  Selby District Council, Civic Centre, Doncaster Road, Selby, North Yorkshire, YO8 9FT Email: info@selby.gov.uk Tel: 01757 705101