As a local planning authority we deal with applications for development of land and buildings, planning appeals, breaches of planning control and we also provide planning information, advice and guidance. This page contains important information you should take into account before completing your application, along with all planning application forms and guidance documents for completing them.
Householders and residents are also able to book appointments to meet planners at our contact centre in Selby for pre-application advice.
5 Year Supply Guidance Note
The inspector’s report for the appeal at Hodgson’s Gate, Sherburn in Elmet on the 6th of December 2016 (APP/N2739/W/16/3144900), stated that the Council does not have a 5 year supply of deliverable housing land. The Council accepts this judgement and has prepared a guidance note for applicants, which details how the Authority will be determining planning applications for housing without a 5 year supply.This guidance was updated on the 25th May 2017 in light of the decision of the Supreme Court in Suffolk Coastal DC v Hopkins.
Community Infrastructure Levy
The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a levy which allows Local Authorities to fund infrastructure by charging on new development in their area. Money raised will go towards the costs of infrastructure projects within Selby District. The levy was introduced by the Government through the Planning Act 2008 and the CIL Regulations 2010 (as amended).
Selby District Council has completed the consultation period and has passed the CIL Inspection which has been formally adopted with effect from 01 January 2016.
Please visit our Community Infrastructure Levy page for further details.
Important change to the assessment of schemes of 1-10 dwellings
Following a recent Court of Appeal judgment, guidance has changed in relation to:
- affordable housing contributions on developments of 10 dwellings or less
- tariff style contributions on developments of 10 dwellings or less
- vacant building credit
This means that the Selby District Council Core Strategy Local Plan Policy SP9 C seeking Affordable Housing contributions for small scale developments (1-9 dwellings) is in conflict with national policy. Initially applications where this applies will be considered at a planning sub-committee and are likely to be recommended for approval without a requirement to make such contributions.
As a result of this fewer schemes will require s106 agreements.
Find out more details by downloading our short summary of the changes.
Pre-application advice (forms)
We would ask developers who want pre-application advice for a large application to use the following form:
Make a Planning Application, including Payment of Fees
If you require site location or site layout plans, they can be purchased through the Planning Portal. These forms are to be printed off and completed. You cannot complete the form online. If you wish to submit an online planning application please select this Planning Portal link.
Further information is also available in the following document:
For all Applications
- Fees - (From 22 November 2012) - doc
- Design and Access Statements - Applicants Checklist - doc
- Design and Access Statements - Planning Guidance Notes - pdf
- Design and Access Statements - Crime Prevention - pdf - 4Mb
North Yorkshire Local List Planning Applications
We are pleased to announce the introduction of the new North Yorkshire Local List for the validation of planning applications.
This document has been prepared in conjunction with the majority of the North Yorkshire authorities and will provide a single standard for the submission of documentation to make a planning application valid.
We formally began using the list on Monday 6th June 2011.
Applicants should note that our validation requirements have changed since the collation of the following validation lists as a result of the publication of the National Planning Policy Framework.
The NPPF replaces the suite of Planning Policy Statements (PPS's) and Planning Policy Guidance Notes (PPG's) and now, along with the guidance in the Technical Guidance Note, and Policy for Traveller Sites, provides the national guidance on planning and as a result of Annex 1 paragraph 216 weight is afforded to emerging policies which in this Authority's case is the Core Strategy which is part of the Local Development Framework (LDF).
Applicants are therefore advised that in collating their applications submissions should refer to the policies in the NPPF and also those in the Core Strategy in terms of the Design and Access Statements and the technical reports forming part of the application as well as the Regional Spatial Strategy and the 2005 Selby District Local Plan. We will be reviewing the Validation Lists in due course, but they are available below to assist in application collation only at this time.
- Application Validation Requirements
- Application Validation Requirements Biodiversity Geological Assessments
- NYPA1 - Householder Application for Planning Permission
- NYPA2 - Application for Outline or Full Planning Application
- NYPA3 - Application for Approval of Reserved Matters
- NYPA4 - Application for Listed Building Consent
- NYPA5 - Application for Advertising Consent
- NYPA6 - Application for Lawful Development Certificate
- NYPA8 - Telecommunications Notification
- NYPA9 - Agricultural or Forestry Notification
- NYPA10 - Demolition Notification
- NYPA11 - Works to Protected Trees
- NYPA12 - Approval of Details Reserved by Condition
- NYPA13 - Application for Removal or Variation of Condition
- NYPA14 - Application for Hedgerow Removal Service
- NYPA15 - Minerals and Waste Application
- NYPA16 - Application to Modify or Discharge a section of 106 Planning Obligation
Application Forms and Guidance
Planning applications will not be validated if they are not accompanied by the correct local list or do not comply fully with its requirements.
Contaminated Land Requirements
The following guidance should assist developers, landowners and consultants who intend to introduce a vulnerable end use (e.g residential development) to land, or wish to redevelop or significantly change the use of buildings or land which could be potentially contaminated.
The guidance specifies what information should be submitted to the Local Planning Authority.
An important change has taken place on the 1st of January 2016 that MAY have significant implications for your application.
Selby District Council has adopted the CIL with effect from 1 January 2016 and all relevant current planning applicants will become liable for payment of CIL from that date, regardless of when they have been submitted. All applications are required to complete the following document:
- Community Infrastructure Levy — Determining whether a Development may be CIL Liable
Planning Application Additional Information Requirement Form
- Community Infrastructure Levy guidance notes
Please complete the above form along with your Planning Application form, and return both forms together, along with any other information required for your application.
Further information regarding CIL can be found via the Planning Portal
When submitting an application online, you may wish to the Submitting an Application Online Guidance Notes - pdf
Please see below for all forms you may need to complete as part of your application, along with guidance.
If you do not send all the information we need your application will be deemed invalid.
- Advertisement Consent Form - pdf
- Advertisement Consent Guidance 1 - pdf
- Advertisement Consent Guidance 2 - pdf
- Certificate of Lawful Development Existing Use Form - pdf
- Certificate of Lawful Development Existing Use Guidance 1 - pdf
- Certificate of Lawful Development Existing Use Guidance 2 - pdf
- Certificate of Lawful Development Proposed Use Form - pdf
- Certificate of Lawful Development Proposed Use Guidance 1
- Certificate of Lawful Development Proposed Use Guidance 2
- Discharge of Condition Form - pdf
- Discharge of Condition Guidance 1 - pdf
- Discharge of Condition Guidance 2 - pdf
- Full Planning Application Form - pdf
- Full Planning Application Guidance 1 - pdf
- Full Planning Application Guidance 2 - pdf
- HEN - Notification of a proposed larger home extension - pdf
- Notification of proposed change of use to a dwelling - pdf
- Hedgerow Removal Form - pdf
- Hedgerow Removal Guidance 1 - pdf
- Hedgerow Removal Guidance 2 - pdf
- High Hedges Application for Investigation - doc
- Listed Building Consent Form - pdf
- Listed Building Consent Guidance 1 - pdf
- Listed Building Consent Guidance 2 - pdf
- Minor Non-Material Amendment Form - pdf
- Minor Amendment Form - Help Notes - pdf
- Minor Non-Material Amendment - Guidance Notes - pdf
- Outline Application All Matters Reserved Form - pdf
- Outline Application All Matters Reserved Guidance 1 - pdf
- Outline Application Some Matters Reserved Form - pdf
- Outline Application Some Matters Reserved Guidance 1 - pdf
- Outline Application Some Matters Reserved Guidance 2 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Excavation-Waste Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Excavation-Waste Guidance 1
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Excavation-Waste Guidance 2
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Fishtank-Cage Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Fishtank-Cage Guidance 1 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry Fishtank-Cage Guidance 2 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Building Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Building Guidance 1 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Building Guidance 2 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Road Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Road Guidance 1 - pdf
- Prior Notification Agric-Forestry New Road Guidance 2 - pdf
- Demolition Notice - doc
- Prior Notification Demolition Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Demolition Guidance 1 - pdf
- Prior Notification Demolition Guidance 2 - pdf
- Prior Notification Telecommunications Form - pdf
- Prior Notification Telecommunications Guidance 1 - pdf
- Prior Notification Telecommunications Guidance 2 - pdf
- Removal or Variation of Condition Section 73 Form - pdf
- Removal or Variation of Condition Section 73 Guidance 1 - pdf
- Removal or Variation of Condition Section 73 Guidance 2 - pdf
- Notification for Prior Approval - Change Of Use from Storage or Distribution Buildings (Class B8) and any land within its curtilage to Dwellinghouses (Class C3)
- Notification for Prior Approval - Change of Use from Amusement Arcades/Centres and Casinos, (Sui Generis Uses) and any land within its curtilage to Dwellinghouses (Class C3)
- Notification for Prior Approval - Change of Use from Shops (Class A1), Financial and Professional Services (Class A2), Betting Offices, Pay Day Loan Shops and Casinos (Sui Generis Uses) to Restaurants and Cafés (Class A3)
- Notification for Prior Approval - Change of Use from Shops (Class A1) and Financial and Professional Services (Class A2), Betting Offices, Pay Day Loan Shops (Sui Generis Uses) to Assembly and Leisure Uses (Class D2)
- Notification for Prior Approval - Development Consisting of the Erection or Construction of a Collection Facility within the Curtilage of a Shop
- Notification for Prior Approval - Temporary Use of Buildings or Land for the Purpose of Commercial Film-Making and the Associated Temporary Structures, Works, Plant or Machinery required in Connection with that Use
- Notification for Prior Approval - Installation, Alteration or Replacement of other Solar Photovoltaics (PV) equipment on the Roofs of Non-domestic Buildings, up to a Capacity of 1 Megawatt
Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 2007: Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers - pdf