Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support

What is Housing Benefit?

Housing Benefit is a national Welfare Benefit to help you pay your rent if you are on a low income. It is sometimes called Rent Rebate if you live in a Council owned property and Rent Allowance or Local Housing Allowance if you live in a privately rented property.

Local Housing Allowance is a way of working out new claims for Housing Benefit for tenants renting accommodation from a private landlord.

There are special rules for Council and Housing Association Tenants of working age if you have a spare bedroom.

What is Council Tax Support?

Council Tax Support is not a state benefit, but a Council Tax discount scheme. Click here to find out more.

Are you entitled?

If you would like an estimate of how much benefit you may be entitled to, please telephone us on 01757 705101 and ask for a trial assessment. Then use the online form to make a claim. 

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Check out our handy FAQs guide.